RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Bi-xenons - bright enough?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

640Newton

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Bi-xenons - bright enough?

I'm curious to hear from people who have done outback night time driving as I'm wondering whether the bi-xenons fitted to the RRS are bright enough and have enough range for safe outback driving?

When I had my D2 I had additional lights fitted (1 x pencil beam and 1 x spread beam) which were great and mounted to the bullbar, but I haven't had a chance to test the RRS in "middle of nowhere" driving conditions. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #276563 Thu Sep 23 2010 11:42pm
redrover

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I don't have bi-xenons but I did fit an after market 55w HID kit to the hi-beams. They take a little time to warm up but I have never seen anything so bright! I went for the warmest colour temperature. TDV6, MYO7 Java with Ivory leather, 19 inch wheels

Post #280003 Thu Nov 11 2010 1:23pm
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Kind of an answer in two parts.

On low beam the lights on the Sport are great and much better than many of the other cars I have owned. For country driving where there is the occasional back and forth traffic where you need to run on low beams these, have a good spread to see the kangaroos lurking in the grass next to the road wanting to play silly Censored with you.

High beam is also very good, but once you have driven with a purpose built set of driving lights, you will find it hard to go back to any factory standard options.

In saying that though, I have still hit more roos and deer with my Landbruiser with the driving lights and bullbar than I have with the RRS, and I have done many more night Km's in the Sport compared to the Bruiser.

(maybe I should stop aiming for them Twisted Evil ) Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #280624 Fri Nov 19 2010 7:22am
640Newton

we're doing the snowy mountains between Christmas and New Year so definitely a chance to drive some dark dark roads down there. I have a feeling that I'm going to miss having pencil & spread beam lights but we'll see how it goes.

A nice pair of Hella HID/Xenon spotlights would be nice but I need to win the lottory first Laughing Laughing 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #280633 Fri Nov 19 2010 7:44am
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Just out of interest - if you were going down the path of some driving lights - what would you mount them too?

There still aren't any great options for bullbars (unless I have missed something), so are you considering one of the nudge bars? If so which ones are out there that you have considered.

When you are down here - watch out for the Deer at night-time as they are everywhere. We are getting quite a few Samba through the area, which would be just as bad a hitting a horse! Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #280635 Fri Nov 19 2010 7:53am
640Newton

considering two options at the moment:

1) you can get spotlight bars that screw in behind the number plate, but I would need to find a way to make it theft-proof; or

2) mount them to the front of an expedition rack on the roof. Main drawback with this option is working out how I can make the wiring detachable as I can't drive around 24/7 with the rack on as it won't fit in the garage at home or at work. So I would only have them on when doing trips.

Like you I haven't found any decent bull/nudge bar options that I like. 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey with Alpaca premium leather, Adaptive cruise, Adaptive Bi-xenons, sunroof, Premium Nav, Premium ICE Logic 7, telephone, active locking rear diff, console coolbox, seat memory, powerfold mirrors, tow pack, window tint, dual battery, engel fridge, Goodyear Mud-Terrain tyres.

Post #280639 Fri Nov 19 2010 8:11am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Are those Land Rover driving lights any good, the ones that sit next to the fog lights when installed?

Post #280641 Fri Nov 19 2010 9:30am
raadar

Australia 

had a set installed on My07 RRS for desert trip. When you consider that you don't need a bar to mount them on they do make sense. Obviously the light output is not as good as dedicated big diameter spotties, however, I found that, all things considered, they were a worthwhile addition for the purpose. The only thing I didn't try was converting them to HID, which would have made a further significant difference (as it has to same conversion of main beam on current D4). Downside is that they will need to sell with the car as they are difficult to transfer unless new car has same front bumper.

Post #280828 Mon Nov 22 2010 1:22am
Firebird

Australia 

640Newton wrote:
considering two options at the moment:

1) you can get spotlight bars that screw in behind the number plate, but I would need to find a way to make it theft-proof; or

2) mount them to the front of an expedition rack on the roof. Main drawback with this option is working out how I can make the wiring detachable as I can't drive around 24/7 with the rack on as it won't fit in the garage at home or at work. So I would only have them on when doing trips.

Like you I haven't found any decent bull/nudge bar options that I like.

Found these on a uk site. Like the one on the right.

http://www.4x4x4.com/accessories/rangerove...rbars1.htm

Cheers

Post #286482 Fri Jan 21 2011 3:32am
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Have a look at these:

http://store.snakeracing.com.au/~snakerac/index.php?cPath=466_467

Much easier to mount and you get spread and pencil beams in one unit.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #286484 Fri Jan 21 2011 6:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Firebird

Australia 

Thanks but I will stick with the Cibies. Best light I have ever had. Smallish but brilliant. Cornering light has a 60-70M spread 10m out and goes out 400m, the pencil goes out 1.5Kms.

Cheers

Post #286488 Fri Jan 21 2011 6:48am
raadar

Australia 

hi gordon

do you know of any real world experience with these. They look brilliant in the brochure but are they brilliant in the wild?

cheers.............frank my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold

Post #286712 Mon Jan 24 2011 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1