RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Over-eager PDC!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 
Over-eager PDC!

Hi all,

Spent some more time in the RRS over the weekend and was annoyed on a number of occasions by the PDC. It seems to have a bit of a mind of its own.... does anyone else suffer from this?

For example, there I am sitting in traffic in Guildford on Saturday afternoon and I pull up behind a car and the PDC starts beeping. I stop where I might usually stop behind a car in traffic and the beeping stops. A car pulls up behind me and the PDC goes off again. Just as I'm puzzling this, a motorbike filters past me on the outside whilst I'm stationary and the PDC beeps momentarily as he passes!

I've never had front-PDC before now, but in my experience rear PDC systems have only ever been active whilst in reverse gear. Why was the PDC picking up the motorcyclist coming past? Do the PDC fields have quite a reach to the side too?

Can someone explain what the criteria for PDC activation is? It was actually becoming quite annoying that also in slow moving traffic it would also momentarily beep away. Was reading in the manual about other sources of the same frequency as used by PDC causing interference... not sure how common that's going to be.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2466 Mon Sep 19 2005 3:07pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I don't know the technicalities or settings on it, but I had front and rear PDC on the M5. Sometimes it would beep as I was exiting our cul de sac for no reason as far as I could gather. The front sensors seemed to come on when the car thinks it is being manoeuvered at slow speed, as if parking the car.

Perhaps when sitting in traffic after a certain criteria of movement is met the system becomes armed and then susceptible to any local objects such as a passing bike.

One thing that surprises me is that the screen interface does not include some sort of display of the car and the various sensors in terms of a visual aid to parking etc. The new shape BMW 5 Series has this and I found it very useful.

see pic below for what I mean. The different coloured zones emanating from each sensor gradually extinguish as you get closer to something, going down to the red zone when you are closest. The frequency of the beeps heightens in tune to the visual aid as you'd expect. Very handy to be able to picture it.

L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2468 Mon Sep 19 2005 3:22pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Yeah, whilst my car was beeping all around me over the weekend I was wishing for an iDrive screen with that on Wink I'll reserve judgement for a few weeks yet so I can experience all there is to experience with the car, but I'm on the verge of deciding that BMW in-car technology is better thought out. Again, maybe it's just what I'm used to..... but I still think this car is a stonker, I have to say!

Cheers
Steve

PS: E39 M5? How do you find the transition from that to the RRS? 

Post #2472 Mon Sep 19 2005 8:00pm
Zipperman19

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I have the same problem. Mine beeps whenever it feels like. I can be stopped at a light when no one else is there and it goes off.

Post #2474 Mon Sep 19 2005 10:35pm
Zipperman19

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Sorry to Hi jack:
RRUK, are you a member of e60.net?

Post #2475 Mon Sep 19 2005 10:36pm
RRUK

shmoogle wrote:

PS: E39 M5? How do you find the transition from that to the RRS?

Yup E39 M5. Not sure what the transition will be like yet as I don't have my RRS S/C yet! But, when I sold the M5 last month I certainly missed it, I've been driving around in small hire cars (Meganne and Clio) since, so the RRS should feel like a huge awesome beast.

However I come from a family of 4x4 owners and have had them in the past so it won't be shock with the different driving dynamics.

Zipperman

No, not a member of e60.net, the main forum I used was BM3W.com L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2480 Tue Sep 20 2005 8:32am
Biggles

England 

I notice that when rain water runs of the bonnet when coming to rest at road junctions it can cause the pdc to activate. But also it is very sensitive and does warn earlier than any other car I have had with the system fitted.
Remember that the switch on the dash can deactivate the system when in traffic if you need to do so. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #2483 Tue Sep 20 2005 8:50am
RRUK

It's a Land Rover, you didn't expect it to work properly did you?!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2485 Tue Sep 20 2005 8:58am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the feedback guys. So it looks like it's just one of those things... will try and remember to turn the PDC back on again when I head for a multi-storey car park! Laughing

Cheers
Steve 

Post #2494 Tue Sep 20 2005 10:56am
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
front pdc

have found the front pdc to be a complete nuisance, and with the good vision from the front I think unneccesary. Were going of at all unusual times and places and started far too early.\\\The rear pdc, is great

Post #2510 Tue Sep 20 2005 4:13pm
Geordiehillbilly

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Strangely I've noted that the beep occurs mostly when I'm pulling up to red traffic lights. Not sure if they are emitting anything that the car is maybe picking up. Even stranger than this, I notice when I pull up or past a bus, the PDC often goes off.....

Post #2801 Fri Sep 30 2005 1:38pm
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

PDC seems to switch itself on below a certain speed and yes it does seem to have too great a range around 45 degrees to the front so that it responds to passing motorcycles and oncoming vehicles in an adjacent lane. If I remember the BMW (X5) system only activated once reverse had been selected (as is usually the case when entering or leaving a parking space) and stayed active until a given speed when it was reasonable to assume the manoeuvre was over. Unlike the RRS system it was otherwise off by default with a button to switch it on if required. Seemed simple enough to me! Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #2811 Fri Sep 30 2005 6:02pm
Esoteric

My only gripe is tha tyou can not disable one PDC only both at the same time. I see no need for front PDC but rear is very useful.

Post #2828 Sat Oct 01 2005 3:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1