RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > Lookers 3 Peaks Challenge Next Weekend
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Lookers Park Royal

Tim,

Lookers are kindly donating the fuel, therefore I am restriced to a Shell card which I can also use at Total and Esso fuel stations, therefore I will be using the Nav POI's!!

Saturday 17th July

Leaving LPR at approx 3pm
Arrive in Armthwaite (Cumbria) 8pm.
(Camping over night)

Sunday 18th July

Leaving Cumbria 10am
Arrive Glen Nevis 4pm
START FIRST CLIMB (24hrs starts here)
Leave Glen Nevis 9pm

Monday 19th July

Arrive Scafel Pike 3am
Leave Scafel Pike 8am
Arrive Snowdon 12pm
24hrs FINISHES WHEN SNOWDON COMPLETED

Hopefully you will be around on Sunday afternoon somewhere between Stirling and Glen Nevis?

James Thumbs Up

Post #271455 Fri Jul 16 2010 2:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Had a text message from James last evening from the base camp at Ben Nevis - the Looker Park Royal runners managed to get to the summit in 2.5 hours and the team were on schedule to leave for Cumbria at 2200. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #271612 Mon Jul 19 2010 7:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Latest news from the team - text from James

Quote:
Guys started Scafell Pike at just after 2am in pitch darkness, driving rain and fog. They reached the summit in just over 2.5hours and were back with us by 06:15 for a ready waiting brew.Went passed Eskdale's (From Fl2 forum) camp site just round the corner from Scafel and took a shortcut over the Hard Knot Pass which was bloody flooded and in the clouds. We are now just north of Manchester on the M6, have enough fuel to get to Snowdon and the nav is being optimistic regarding arrival times. Done just over 850 miles since leaving the dealership. Guys are getting some kip ready for Snowdon
 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #271625 Mon Jul 19 2010 9:53am
Lookers Park Royal

Finished 23hrs 53mins 1sec

On the way home, but have stopped in Kaine's hometown for F & C's.

I think the technical term for how we are feeling is 'hanging'!

James Yawn

Post #271663 Mon Jul 19 2010 6:22pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

well done guys!!!

Post #271677 Mon Jul 19 2010 8:36pm
Lookers Park Royal

The Final Update! (WITH PICTURES)

Well the boys completed the challenge in the end in 23hrs 53mins 1sec, which left less than 7 minutes to spare! This was from the base of Ben Nevis back to the base of Snowdon, via all 3 peaks (not the shorter timing that some use from first summit to last summit) It was touch and go in the end as they had to seek refuge on Snowdon for 30 mins due to 60-70mph winds and driving rain. As a result of this the guys had all but given up in completing within 24 hours; however by finding that last little bit of energy and running down Snowdon they just managed it.

We have raised £905 so far for the Shooting Star Children’s Hospice, but have a promise of a little more to come through over the next couple of weeks. We would like to thank our family, friends, colleagues, customers, forum members and suppliers for their kind generosity.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the experience; however sleep deprivation is certainly creeping up on us now. None of us realised how physically demanding the event would be for both the climbers and the support crew; you just had to grab 40 winks when you could between setting up, packing away, changing and eating!

We left London at 2pm on Saturday and stayed on a very quiet camp site just off the M6 near Carlisle, then headed to the Highlands on the Sunday morning.

On Sunday we arrived at Ben Nevis at 3pm and the guys got ready for the climb. They set off from base-camp at just after 4pm and reached the summit in 2.5hrs. We were then quickly on our way via Glasgow back to Scafel Pike in Cumbria, which was a lovely drive from Fort William via Loch Lomond.

We arrived at Scafell Pike at 1:30am in pitch darkness and driving rain. All the guys had were waterproofs, head torches, a map and a compass as they set off into the wilderness in horrendous conditions at 2am. They encountered all sorts of hazards including water crossings in torrential rain and wind. They arrived back at around 6am, and it was a quick cup of Yorkshire Tea and back on the road.

We had to get to Snowdon by noon to stand a chance of the guys completing the task properly in 24 hours and getting back down from the summit of Snowdon by 1610hrs. The drive was breathtaking over the Hard Knott Pass; however we started to hit rush-hour traffic on the motorways. That said we actually got to Snowdon by 11:15 so the guys had a bit of breathing space before having to set off (or so we thought). Little did we know that there was a severe storm on its way, which resulted in Barry and Matthew taking refuge on Snowdon for 30 mins as walking in those conditions was near impossible without being blown from the mountain! Back at base-camp Nick and I were getting concerned as the weather was pretty bad at the foot of the mountain where we were waiting, and we had no idea that the guys were battling with 60-70mph winds. Our radio’s worked almost to the peak of each mountain, however mobile reception was non-existent (except for at the base of Nevis). As the clock ticked away and the fact that we had not had radio contact for a couple of hours, we assumed that they had not made it, and were therefore not going to make it within 24hrs. Our attention quickly turned towards their safety as the conditions were absolutely horrendous.

Anyway, as mentioned above, with only moments to spare they rounded the corner and came into view. They arrived back at the car park with 6mins 59secs to spare!!! Another cup of tea along the route could have been the straw that broke the camels back as less than 7 minutes is by no means a comfortable margin!

Thanks again to everyone for their support! Below are a few pictures from our 24 hour adventure!

James (Matthew, Barry and Nick) Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Setting off from the dealership in London at 2pm on Saturday (Left to right – James, Matthew, Barry & Nick)

Click image to enlarge

Camping in Cumbria – The Land Rover drive-away awning was a god-send!

Click image to enlarge

A brief comfort break at Loch Lomond on the way to Nevis.

Click image to enlarge

Barry (right) and Matthew getting ready to be dropped off at the Ben Nevis start point.

Click image to enlarge

At the summit of Ben Nevis (nice shorts lads)!!

Click image to enlarge

Getting ready to set off in pitch darkness and rain for the Scafell Pike summit.

Click image to enlarge

Having just returned from a night on Scafell Pike at 6am!

Click image to enlarge

Packed up and ready to set off across Cumbria and down to Snowdon.

Click image to enlarge

The Hard Knott Pass in Cumbria

Click image to enlarge

Ready for the 3rd and final peak in the car park at Snowdon (again, nice shorts lads!)

Click image to enlarge

The final push to the finish line.

Click image to enlarge

A look of relief and exhaustion after 23hrs 53mins and 1sec (WELL DONE!)

Last edited by Lookers Park Royal on Fri Jul 30 2010 3:36pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #271734 Tue Jul 20 2010 11:52am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

For Sale one Discovery 4 - minimal use!

Well done! Next year James swap the driving for the running! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #271736 Tue Jul 20 2010 12:14pm
BIG DJ

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Well done guys Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #271737 Tue Jul 20 2010 12:20pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

James at Lookers has asked me to post this video of the guys at the top of Mt Snowdon

Due to been unable to post videos via the offices connection

Post #271802 Wed Jul 21 2010 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12