RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > SLROC Green Road Run, 21 Feb, now with photos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
SLROC Green Road Run, 21 Feb, now with photos

For all the Scottish members in the Central Belt - SLROC welcomes guests and new members (and the £5 note they all bring!) along to these non damaging (but you might catch a scratch if you are really unlucky!) Sundays out in the hills. No special equipment or tyres required and all driving surfaces are either tarred or "forest track" type trails.

The destination for this run is a new one to the club - we are going to Glenfalloch which is at the head of Loch Lomond. Meeting place is the carpark opposite the Tarbert Hotel, Tarbert on Loch Lomondside. There is a cafe where hot breakfast is available for those who have to leave home early, just up the A82 from the carpark where we meet. Start is 1030 at the car park, 1100 depart carpark. To quote the SLROC Hotline "Be prepared for howiling gales, driving rain or as the weather has recently been cold, feet of snow!". Don't forget your camera, fuel, warm clothes and a picnic . These are family days - no racing or silly things 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Sun Feb 21 2010 10:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #256342 Thu Feb 18 2010 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Graemereeper

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

I would be there in a heartbeat but working on Sunday Big Cry Big Cry 4.4i V8 HSE G4 RRS.

Post #256396 Fri Feb 19 2010 10:18am
Tim in Scotland

A great and memorable day. Left home in dense fog and -8C so decided to take the RRS instead of the 90 but within a few miles the fog cleared and that was the start of almost cloudless blue skies all day.

Stopped at Duck Bay on the west shore of Loch Lomond - first time since 1989 that I have seen so much ice on the surface

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The meeting point was at the end of the good section of A82, Tarbert, which was also where we had the most snow of the day even though this is down at 20m above sea level and we were going up to 500m!
Click image to enlarge

These are a few of the early arrivals - we ended up in 2 groups as in total there were 30 cars there, mostly Defenders and older Landies and Disco2's but also a Freely1, 2 FFRR's and my RRS
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Starting to climb

Looking back to the head of Loch Lomond and Ben Lomond
Click image to enlarge

Looking across the valley
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The only casualty of the day - a series landy (in the centre) that broke a half-shaft being towed back UP the icy corner by the Disco1 on the right

Click image to enlarge

I didn't go down the icy corner after watching a FFRR and 2 Defenders doing out of control 360's on it!
Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #256714 Sun Feb 21 2010 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
diamond

Greece 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Alaska White

Tim ,
nice pics and scenery

You had winter tyres on? If yes why you didn't try to see what will be the result with the use of HDC? 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Climbing 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Post #256726 Sun Feb 21 2010 9:36pm
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Looks stunning Tim Thumbs Up

Would love to join the crowd someday and experience it myself - sounds like just enough to have fun without too much damage and still a family day out - everyone's a winner.

You never know, I'm planning some UK road trips now with the growing family and increasing excess luggage!!!

Post #256729 Sun Feb 21 2010 9:54pm
Tim in Scotland

I had winter tyres on Diamond, have driven on enough ice roads here this winter to know their limitations! 25 of the cars went over the ice no problem, the getting back up it was a different story though as we were not permitted by the landowner to go off the track, although in the end many had no option but to drive up to the right on the verges as they were on MTR's or even road tyres. I wouldn't have minded bashing the Defender but not the Sport!
I know it's being a wimp but along with the Freel1 and 1 FFRR, a Disco1 and a brand new Defender I stayed on the right side of the ice. Those pics don't show how big the area was. Seeing a 2 year old FFRR with winter tyres and TR doing ballet on that was sobering!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What was on the other side wasn't much anyway
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #256733 Sun Feb 21 2010 10:10pm
tornado34

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

That ice is my teritory Tim, ice is much better for studs than snow (unless compacted) - I had my own fun today dragging all my neighbours up the long slope to our houses, which was covered in a foot of fresh snow, Fun how all the BMW rear wheel drivers and Volvo V70's just have no chance when the going gets seriously tough - when it's bad I use low ratio, DSC off and if downhill DSC (cheating I know for a Def driver Bow down )- smug is a great feeling no matter how you achieve it Mr. Green

Mean't HDC for downhill - too many acronyms in a RRS!

Last edited by tornado34 on Sun Feb 21 2010 10:32pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #256736 Sun Feb 21 2010 10:23pm
Tim in Scotland

My tyres aren't studded though, studded tyres are illegal in the UK................................. I'm running on Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow Tyres.

Agree about the settings T, TR is very good but and I'm sure that the car would have made it, it was the driver who wasn't up to it! I love my RRS too much to want to bash it for pleasure 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #256743 Sun Feb 21 2010 10:32pm
diamond

Greece 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Alaska White

I got the point Tim (you love too much your RRS to risk anything)
Anyway the pics show a very dangerous situation. 2009 Range Rover Sport 2.7 TDV6 SE, Alaska White, Almond leather, tinted windows, active rear diff, tow pack, HiICE, full spare: gone and already missed

2004 Fiat Panda 1.2 Climbing 4x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAg4DdXAp7Y

Post #256750 Sun Feb 21 2010 11:47pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Looks like a great day Tim, wish I could have been there instead of laying laminate flooring. We should be heading south tomorrow, got a meeting in the morning and then its off to Alex. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #256759 Mon Feb 22 2010 12:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1