RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > daughter about to turn 17. A first car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

all good stuff guys. Getting insurance cover is paramount. I am none too keen on having a 17 year old girl novice as a named driver on my policy (one claim under my belt in 2008 for £3.5k that was deemed my fault Shocked ) and I already have a second and separate policy in my name for my second car. What car I end up buying is secondary to the insurance issue. I doubt that any insurance company will cover her on her own policy for a good used 4x4 (may be wrong here). I am contemplating a Fiat 500 (I know, shame on me....) but daddy's are very easily twisted around little girls fingers... Embarassed If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #255501 Sun Feb 14 2010 8:41pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

VA point taken.....I shall not call your babies Sexy Pauly again, I promise....

Post #255508 Sun Feb 14 2010 8:52pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

500 is a good bet mate....or look at at Ford KA, based on some car - whatever has best deal and cheapest insurance...

Post #255510 Sun Feb 14 2010 8:54pm
sportdriver

United Kingdom 

Well as my daughter is only 4 & my lad will be 2 in April - I'm glad it will be a while before I'm in this dilemma!!

That being said - I was trying to objectively think what car I'd want my precious little girl behind the wheel of in 13 years time.

I have to say - her safety would be my main + only consideration. I'd probably pick up a low mileage used SWB Shougun - something which still looks 'trendy' but somehting built like a tank.

Now I'm fairly sure this will receive some mixed comments, but recently (after loosing patience being messed around by timewasting staff) - I fitted Vehicle Tracking Units to all cars + Vans in my company's fleet. Best thing I ever did. With a few clicks it shows me vehicle position, idling time, instances of speeding, what time the engine is switched on/off etc.

The point is - I'd strongly think about having one of these put in my kids' cars when the time comes. I'd be up front & tell them - assuming like me they'd agree to anything at 17 to get behind the wheel!! I just think it would save me hours of worrying & they'd have to drive sensibly etc. as they know I'd be checking up on them.

Just a thought.......... Thumbs Up '10 Jaguar XKR Coupe 5.0L Supercharged.
Kyanite Blue/Ivory + Piano Black Trim.

Post #255548 Sun Feb 14 2010 9:51pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

Big Brother Is Here Exclamation purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #255553 Sun Feb 14 2010 9:57pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Golf or polo mate, good well built car, reliable and more importantly wont crumple in the unlikely event of an accident.

Post #255599 Mon Feb 15 2010 9:00am
NasMan

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Has to be a VW Golf - says all the right things. Go for 4 door for insurance purposes.

Be nice to your kids ya'll... 57 RRS | TDV8 HSE | Java Black | Black Interior | Side Steps | 20" Alloys
Bought in Januray 2010. Colour Coded Car with Forum Members Help.

CURRENT - 2004 Mercedes SL350 | Silver - Best Car I have ever had Smile
GONE - Jaguar S-Type | Silver

Post #255627 Mon Feb 15 2010 12:25pm
BigMart

United Kingdom 

A chap I used to work with had a unique view on this.

When his daughter came of age he paid for driving lessons....she passed..

He offered to buy her a car.....she gratefully accepted.

He bought her a diesel volvo estate (early v40 shape).

the insurance quotes werent much different from the saxo/106/punto type things she was interested in.
He was confident if she did crash, she would be more likely to open the door, step out and call daddy.

I met her 3 yrs on , she still had the car and loved it.
She could park it anywhere without worrying, get loads of friends/shopping/shoes in the back (delete as appropriate) and seemed to be invisible to the police.

I thought he was being cruel whe I first heard the story but I now see he was doing her a favour.

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #255667 Mon Feb 15 2010 3:28pm
gordon kerr

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Insurance hasn't been mentioned overmuch here yet but when you do look at it consider this. When my daughter first wanted insurance for her own car I insisted she include either me or her mother on the insurance so that if needs be someone else could drive the car other than her. She was a bit miffed at the suggestion that anyone else be allowed to drive "HER" car but investigated and found that putting her mother on the insurance as a named driver actually reduced her premium so went along with the suggestion after that. Oddly investigation via a broker showed that this generally the case. Add mother and the premium goes down - add father and it seems to go up - almost regardless fo driving records. Try it to save a few quid! Gordon Kerr
Bedford, UK
2007 Java Black RR Sport TDv6
1980 Brooklands Green Triumph TR7

Post #255676 Mon Feb 15 2010 4:34pm
muffd

Guys (all of you). I have enjoyed the responses to this thread so much - so a big thanks to you all. I will let you know how things go and the notion of buying an old Volvo diesel estate with the wife as a named driver has a lot of appeal! Bow down If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #255710 Mon Feb 15 2010 8:13pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Laughing

Post #255711 Mon Feb 15 2010 8:15pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I've a mate that is an IFA so insurance etc is his trade and he says to stay away from the Saxo/Peugeot 106 style as they're now coming up in premium as these are what the young ones buy, tart up with body kits and tune the engines/exhausts but forget they need to stop it with uprated brakes too so they are now starting load premiums up on these cars due the amount of accidents with young drivers in them. That and the fact they're built from used milk bottle tops too!! There was an accident north of Aberdeen last year where a Saxo picked an argument with an XC90 and the kids in the Saxo were killed bar 1!!!

My son turns 17 in 4 yrs and I dread to think of the premiums he's going to have to pay then!!! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #255772 Mon Feb 15 2010 11:58pm
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Your daughter is turning 17? No need to buy a car, at that age you should just lock her into her room until she is 25 or 30 or something. For sure that will help you avoiding a lot of trouble... Laughing RRS TDV6 HSE, 2006, bonatti grey, ebony interior, rear diff, s/c grille and vents, stormers, privacy, tasmods, iphone integration Wink

Post #259317 Fri Mar 12 2010 7:40pm
muffd

I promised an update. Well, she turns 17 on Monday the 10th. I gave in and bought a 2007 Clio 1.2 at the weekend and collect it on Friday. Nice wee one owner, 18k miles, black with alloys as standard and privacy glass. She is grinning like a Cheshire cat. Got the insurance sorted with Admiral and I took a multi-car policy so all 4 cars in our household are now consolidated - however our daughter can only drive the Clio but me and the Mrs can drive it and our other 3 cars.
Wink If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Post #265036 Tue May 04 2010 5:45pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

How does a multicar policy effect NCB if she has a bump, or any if you do?

Post #265043 Tue May 04 2010 6:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>