RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > I have located the last rattle!!!!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ST

I have located the last rattle!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if it is safe to remove the back cover of the steering wheel?

After spending the best part of 6 hours sat in the car at various times over the last week I have finaly identified the rattle coming from the dashboard in front of the drivers seat! I had been convinced it was behind the instrument cluster however after lots of poking and proding I ended at the revelation last night that it is actualy something making contact with the back cover section of the steering wheel. You gently squeeze (ooerrrr mrs) the top and bottom of the cover just behind the cover for the airbag and it stops Bow down Bow down Bow down

This maybe a question that TB can answer? Is it safe to loosen off the four retaining screws on the back of the wheel that hold the cover in place - it sounds as if that something inside the wheel is slightly loose and is touching the cover - when the pressure is applied if forces constant contact and it goes away. I am obviously concerned about loosening the back of the wheel as I really don't fancy a face full of airbag Shocked Shocked Shocked

I don't want to take it back to the dealer as we all know from experience, you take it in for one thing and it comes back with another!!!!! Not the service teams fault, just inevitable when you start dismantling the car etc.

I have a back up plan in the form of a matchstick wedged in between the case and the cover but that doesn't look very special!!!!!

As always, advice and guidance appreciated!!!

I will probably regret saying this, but after I have sorted this......there is nothing else wrong Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #24649 Thu Apr 13 2006 8:21am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

I probably wouldn't advise it.

I'm not sure it would go off as it requires the sensors around the car to decide you've had an accident to trigger the bag.

You could, however potentially affect the performance of it should (God forbid) something happen.

I'm sure the dealers wouldn't look too kindly on someone messing with the cars safety systems and could present warranty issues.

But then again, I'm no expert! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #24678 Thu Apr 13 2006 10:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1