RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Finance & Insurance > Don't need no GAP insurance I don't
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mercuryl

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Don't need no GAP insurance I don't

I've just read my insurance document. I'm insured via NIG. Live in a village on the south coast , 45 years, no previous or convictions for £350 per annum. Not bad.

PLUS, it also includes a clause that they will replace it with a brand new one if it is stolen or written off within the 1st 12 months from new.

So, I'm glad I didn't take out that GAP insurance from Guy Salmon when I bought it. I've been mad for flipping years, absolutely years, over the edge for yonks.

Post #223549 Mon Apr 27 2009 4:03pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Bet you they'd still have a go at wriggling out of it Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #223550 Mon Apr 27 2009 4:08pm
dazsear

England 

Most insurers provide that amount of cover for the first twelve months of a new cars life.
GAP is more worthwhile over three or four years and especially for nearly new cars.

Daz 2017 4.4 Autobiography FFRR - love this car
Gone - VW T5 Transporter
Long gone - 2009 Disco
Long gone but never out of my thoughts - 2008 TDV8 HST

Post #223551 Mon Apr 27 2009 4:09pm
Pelyma

England 

NFU do it for the first 2 years Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #223552 Mon Apr 27 2009 4:09pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

the problem is when it comes to the cost of the claim to repair to the cost of the car itself

My car prior to having the FL2 had a motorbike bounce on the dash whilst it was parked on my driveway after some chav got knocked off it.

The car was less than 2 months old, in the garage for 4 or 5 months whilst i drove round in a LR FL1 hire car but they still repaired it as it was under 65% damage limit Evil or Very Mad Left it on the road out side my house a few months after having it return and a transit van finished it off Twisted Evil

GAP would have been good then though, as it was older than 12months at the final event Thumbs Up

Post #223555 Mon Apr 27 2009 4:34pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Beware of GAP it is not the great safety net they paint in the adverts, when you need to claim the value your insurance offers and what the GAP insurer offers may be two different figures so you have a gap to the GAP, example you paid £30K for the car and it is written off, your Insurance offer you £24K but your Gap insurer thinks it is worth £27K, they will only pay the difference between £27 & £30k leaving you £3k out of pocket, oh and to add insult to injury you have to do all the negotiation to try and get your insurance company offer to as close as possible to the GAP valuation / settlement.

Post #227388 Fri Jun 05 2009 4:22pm
MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Cant agree with the anti-GAP thread I'm afraid

I had a 4 month old Mondeo ST24 (dont laugh) that was stolen and not recovered (OK so I deserve it for living in Liverpool!!!!).

Insurance and GAP sorted out full market value and I was in another new car inside 6 weeks. Not a bad service from my perspective RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #227419 Fri Jun 05 2009 10:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Well you were very lucky, what was the name of your gap insurer, mine was Land Rover's very own and would not touch with a barge pole again in future. Evil or Very Mad

Post #227428 Sat Jun 06 2009 2:41am
kam100

United Kingdom 

We refer into a GAP insurance provider, and have had unfortunately 3 clients have to claim on it after their range rover sport's went missing.

Best claim to date.

2007/07 RR Sport purchased brand new with lots of bits, paid £46k.
Got nicked in Nov 08.

Keys out of house when he was away on holiday.
Insurance £31k.
Gap which was a RTI for 3 years with £25k claim limit. Paid out: £15k no probs.
Total money back: £46k.
He went and bought a touareg 3.0 TDI Altitude, 08 with 11k on the clock, for £23k. Thanks very much..

So Gap if your keeping the car over 1 year, and you are a private user... definitely have it!

Post #227442 Sat Jun 06 2009 7:10pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Oh, and don't pay dealer prices for it!

www.shortfallcover.co.uk
discount code 500500, cheapest we know of, and have proven claims that have been paid out no probs..
You can only buy it within 120 days of purchase of vehicle.

Post #227443 Sat Jun 06 2009 7:11pm
no_one_has_this_name

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

leedsunited wrote:
Well you were very lucky, what was the name of your gap insurer, mine was Land Rover's very own and would not touch with a barge pole again in future. Evil or Very Mad

from yell.com
MB & G Insurance
We're listed under Insurance - Other
Tel: 0191 2590647

21-26, Howard House Commercial Centre, Howard St, North Shields, Tyne and Wear NE30 1AR

paid out for me on my x5 within 5 days!!! even had a clause where they would pay upto 300 of the full comp excess!!!! never need to pay excess as it was not my fault

the one i had was underwritten by norwich union at the time and MB and G agreed with my first offer from my insurance company it was 3 year policy and i had to claim when some oap crashed into side of me 2 years and 8 month later

they now own SURFANDPROTECT.COM but now use axa as underwriter so may be different now but best money i ever spent!!!!!! "ha ha HA HA" laughing all the way to the bank!

Post #235850 Sun Sep 06 2009 8:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
no_one_has_this_name

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

leedsunited wrote:
Beware of GAP it is not the great safety net they paint in the adverts, when you need to claim the value your insurance offers and what the GAP insurer offers may be two different figures so you have a gap to the GAP, example you paid £30K for the car and it is written off, your Insurance offer you £24K but your Gap insurer thinks it is worth £27K, they will only pay the difference between £27 & £30k leaving you £3k out of pocket, oh and to add insult to injury you have to do all the negotiation to try and get your insurance company offer to as close as possible to the GAP valuation / settlement.

THEY NEVER USED TO BUT alot of companys now say they will cover car for "glasses guide price" at time of purchase or 110% as you will know this may be more than what your paying at the dealers/trader, SOME USED TO JUST INSURE PURCHASE PRICE BUT PEOPLE PAYING TO MUCH HAS MADE THIS MORE OF AN ISSUE so just make sure you read the full terms and condition. you dont have to buy policy from seller most places let you buy upto 3 month from purchase like anything SHOP AROUND but just remeber THE CHEAPEST INSURANCE PRODUCT IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST

SOMETIMES IT PAYS OFF TO PAY MORE!!!!!

MIND THE GAP!!!!! Thumbs Up "ha ha HA HA" laughing all the way to the bank!

Post #235851 Sun Sep 06 2009 8:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1