RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > First greenlaning experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dcc

Guernsey 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
First greenlaning experience

This was my first experience with my TDV8. In Wales a couple of weekends ago using the services of Trailmasters under the leadership of John and Amanda. They are both excellent, knowledgeable and very helpful.

We covered a variety of ground conditions, mainly mud, ruts and rocks in Snowdonia for 2 days. Some rain, mainly dry. Beautiful scenery. Quite a lot of tricky situations but the TDV8 had no trouble with them. Definitely a worthwhile initiation.

I can recommend my rock sliders. Essential if you want to ensure there is no damage along the bottom of the doors.

I have a couple of photos - one showing my first river crossing and the other a typical section.

Post #229675 Sun Jul 05 2009 9:11am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Looks like you also have a Mantec sump guard? And which tyres and wheels did you have for that event? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #229678 Sun Jul 05 2009 9:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leo

Kenya 

Nicely set up RRS. Thumbs Up

Post #229689 Sun Jul 05 2009 1:42pm
dcc

I have a sump guard but it was locally made from 1/4 inch aluminium. I had not heard of Mantec when mine was installed.

The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/55/19. I used them last year in Morocco - no trouble - but in Wales I got 2 punctures from the sharp rocks and had to buy a new tyre to make sure I could get back home. One tyre had to be disposed of because the sidewall was so badly cut up. I am changing to Goodyear Wrangler MTRs as I have heard these are much stronger - just for off-roading, not for normal driving.

Post #229710 Sun Jul 05 2009 9:54pm
Baron

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

dcc wrote:
I have a sump guard but it was locally made from 1/4 inch aluminium. I had not heard of Mantec when mine was installed.

The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/55/19. I used them last year in Morocco - no trouble - but in Wales I got 2 punctures from the sharp rocks and had to buy a new tyre to make sure I could get back home. One tyre had to be disposed of because the sidewall was so badly cut up. I am changing to Goodyear Wrangler MTRs as I have heard these are much stronger - just for off-roading, not for normal driving.

I've been in some pretty muddy places with the Pirelli SZ 19" But really want the MTR's for next shooting season.

Bought a full set on rims for £500 off e bay. Swapped from my 20" rims for last season but the Censored refuse to wear out Bow down Bow down

They are really good on tarmac too (possibly better ride than the 20 and last longer"). Anyone have experience of tarmac with the MTR's  SDV8 vogue SE.
Corris grey and ivory leather + most of the toys.
Limited edition RRS model number 0001 Smile
Gone TDV8 RR Sport. Never to be forgotten.

Wife has an i8 BMW

Post #230617 Mon Jul 13 2009 8:15pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

A good wekend and better waether than I had by the looks of it.

Dare say those Welsh rocks have had a good nibble at your alloys as well

Post #230629 Mon Jul 13 2009 10:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Baron my local tyre folks have been having difficulty getting me a 265/75R16 BFG MTR for my Defender. When I phoned round some of the suppliers who have ads in the Landy magazines I was astounded to be told that

a) BFG have only 50 MTRs in stock in the UK and have stopped production pending a new design being launched in 2010

b) Goodyear have again stopped making the Wrangler MT - no reason given but they are now very difficult to get, so take good care of the set you have!

I see in the ads that one of the Korean or Japanese tyre makers is now selling a tyre that looks exactly the same as the BFG MTR!

I was looking for a new BFG MTR because at MOT time the tester found a very big slash on the inside of a sidewall of one tyre. I have since bought 5 of them to store "just in case" so UK stocks of BFG MTR's is now 45! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #230640 Mon Jul 13 2009 11:42pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dcc

My alloys fared pretty well surprisingly. They must be stronger than one thinks.

What I wanted was the Goodyear MT/Rs with Kevlar but I was told by Goodyear that these are not supplied to the UK. It may be they are only available in the US.

It is good to hear that the standard version (non-Kevlar) is good on the road. After all if you go off-roading or even green-laning the largest part of the journey there and back is on road.

One factor to bear in mind for the Goodyear MT/Rs is that they are limited to 113mph!!

Post #230648 Tue Jul 14 2009 7:52am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Yes 113mph which is fine for the TDV6 but not your TDV8 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #230671 Tue Jul 14 2009 9:13am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

My Alloys didn't fare too well after this, and the car was only 4 hours old Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Wrangler MT/Rs are fine on the road you just have to remember that they have a lower speed rating and that they don't grip as well in the wet, for offroad use they are excellent, I could go most places the Defender went and with a lot more ease.
Click image to enlarge
 Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #230697 Tue Jul 14 2009 11:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1