RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Should I keep my HSE or get into a RR Sport??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tsholdings

Australia 
Should I keep my HSE or get into a RR Sport??

Hi all, newbie to these forums.

A long time Land Rover owner ( 2 Discos and current RR ) I'm about to enter uncharted territory and am nervous about what to expect. I've got a 2004 MkIII HSE V8 which I bought as a demonstrator with about 1000km on it in 2005. It's just about to come out of an extended warranty deal they were offering here when we bought it and although we really love the car, I'm concerned about the reputation that I seem to be hearing from a lot of people ( and some I've read on the web) that, unless I like spending money on repairs, I should get out now, while the experience has been good.

In the past with the Discos we traded them in as they came out of warranty with about 80K on them. The current HSE is just coming up to 80K, and has just had the transmission replaced in the last 2 months ( under warranty - phew!) and an instrument cluster replaced at the same time - car came back from trans replacement saying it had done 40,000 km less than it actually had - great for selling until you look in the service manuals.

Other than this I've had no major problems with this car so I've been in a quandary about what to do.

Trouble is there's no direct equivalent model in the current range. I don't want to shell out for the new Vogue, and the Sport, whilst a sexy looking car, is a bit smaller in the WB and we've become very used to the massive luggage compartment with a lot of weekend trips with 3 kids done - this less of an issue to me than the +1. The TDV6 is a little bit gutless compared to our V8 ( not much though) and the TDV8 is hard to come by as a demo or low km. The supercharged is also mind blowingly expensive here.

Is this bad rep fair ?

Should I stick with this vehicle as it's been good to me or are the problems about to start and should I just try and find a low km TDV6/V8 and tell my +1 to suck it up over the boot space.

P.S. I've also taken an Audi Q7 TD3.0 for a weekend, which prices favourably against the RRS TDV6 and is more agile IMO, but with less off road capability ( and it's an Audi), and a couple of my mates are saying I should at least drive a late model Cayenne S. This car does not do a lot of off road but it will be driven in snow a lot as we live in one of the Australian ski resorts for the winter season.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Post #227584 Mon Jun 08 2009 8:37pm
BKHK

Australia 

TS

I don't think I will be much help but here goes. I am dismayed to hear of your transmission failure at 80000 km, that's only 50000 miles.

Having suffered that, I can understand your nervousness. However, when you look on the web, there is quite a lot of FFRRs which have done easily double your km so generally speaking, they can do the miles and hold up well. Look at it this way, it won't be a tranny that fails next time as its just been replaced!

Getting out of your car and into another FFRR will be quite expensive and, there doesn't appear to be much young used low km stock around in Australia. So, I would temporarily discount the option of a newer FFRR for the time being.

I think your decision comes down to two scenarios. Keep your current car, take out the best warranty you can and put a little aside for repairs. OR buy a TDV8 RRS (or wait for the 3.0 TDV6 coming out later this year with the MY10 cars) Boot space is important to you, a tick in the keep the car box. The RRS is a lovely car, but it isn't an FFRR. With 3 kids and trips to the snow and needing the space.....I would be hanging onto the FFRR, take out a warranty, put some $ aside for potential repairs and run it for another couple of years. You will also see a reduced depreciation curve!

Post #227593 Tue Jun 09 2009 12:20am
tsholdings

Australia 

thanks BKHK - your comment about the dep curve is right. At the moment I've got a bit of negative equity in the FFRR so I would probably have to tip in a bit myself, but another year or two should see that come back into line.

I haven't been offered any extended warranty options through Lance Dixon (where I bought the car) I'll make some inquiries through them but can you recommend any others that offer extended warranties. That may be a slightly better option than trading at this stage. I'll need to do all the numbers.

I think your sig says you have the TDV6 - are you happy with it? There is a 2006 TDV6 for sale at the moment through a dealer in Melbourne with 20K on it asking $77K which seems a pretty good deal, still has some new car factory warranty left. Worst case scenario with luggage is to buy a roof pod for the big trips.

Decisions, decisions.......

Last edited by tsholdings on Tue Jun 09 2009 1:15am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #227594 Tue Jun 09 2009 12:38am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

If you can afford it and can compromise slighly on boot space then i would say get the Range Rover Sport. try and get the TDV8, or even way for the MY10's in September.

Otherwise as BKHK suggests get a warranty and stick with what you know.

Personally don't like the Q7 or Cayenne.

Post #227595 Tue Jun 09 2009 12:50am
BKHK

Australia 

TS

I love my TDV6. I didn't want to go into debt for the TDV8. To be honest, if I have a faster car, I am undisciplined and will use it and lose my points. I had a BMW 325i before the RRS and became a bit of a hoon (according to my lovely)

The TDV6 can be driven with spirit and by learning to explore the torque curve, can be fun to drive. Its also less complicated without the dynamic stability control which seems to knock and give some problems. I also like the economy (I get around 9lt/100 based on filling up and around 8.3lt/100 based on the computer). I have no kids and its only me in the car most of the time.

I bought new from Lance Dixon in May 08. I had a few problems with my first car (steering wobble) although it was nothing that couldn't be fixed by systematic component replacement and it was eventually fixed (so I am told) ) I acted up big time, I was a bit of a prick to be honest but between LR and Lance Dixon they replaced it with the 09 that I have now (for token $). I can't fault that and I can't fault Lance Dixon, they have been really good.

Your choice:

I think the car you are looking at is at Prestige Warehouse. It looks OK but I wouldn't buy an 06 if warranty was important to you, it won't have much left and you will be back into aftermarket just like with your FFRR....no gain fro you really. I would also want to own it for much nearer $70k than $77k.

On the first page of carsales is a 2008 TDV6 in QLD for 82.5 private (you can negotiate down) which will have a couple of years warranty and only has 8000+km on the clock. There is even an 07 TDV8 in NSW private for $87k

I still think it points to you keeping your FFRR and getting back into a positive equity curve. Of course, you may need the depreciation for tax reasons etc....I can't comment on that side of your situation.

Good luck

Post #227597 Tue Jun 09 2009 2:33am
Jimmy Salsa

Australia 

As a newbie RR owner myself, i did a lot of research into RRS vs D3 and here's what I cam up with.

[Before i go into pros and cons, I shuold probably divulge that I eventually bought the RRS predominantly because of the incredible buy price. I picked up the July plate '07 RRS (with sunroof and tow kit options) in Feb this year with 21,000kms on the clock with everything in mint condition for just $72,000 through a dealer in MLB.]

The RRS does have limited boot space. I am finding that I really need to fit a dog rack (also hard to get) and some shelving to really fit in everything I need even for basic trips off-road. I am also investigating racks for camping trips and think I'll eventually have to bite the bullet on these as space is very limited.

The RRS seems to have a better resale price curve from years 5 through to 10 and a wider market of buyers. Probably a case of better looking vehicle combined with a more desirable vehicle.

The D3 7 seat option is great on the odd occasion you want to haul the kids friends on a trip and the extra boot room is just fantastic. The other great benefit is the split fold rear door with fold-out bench seat. The RRS has a split fold upper window and a full release door which lifts up. My personal preference is the disco format - just more practical.

As for warranty, I am about to purchase a 3 year extended warranty for the RRS which costs about $2,800. It is an exact copy of the current warranty and I can post the details of the broker I am getting it through for anyone who is interested.

For those who have a business, don't forget you can take advantage of the current govt. incentive of 30% if you're over $2mil turnover and 50% deduction is your under that level. I think they have also just extended the offer to December. The option is also available on demonstrators and there are some amazing deals around at the moment. This essentially brings the price of a $70,000 car down by about $10k if you buy now.

The combo of great prices on demos and the tax incentive has me investigating some D3 deals with a broker this week and I will let you know of current market deals if you want to go that far and compare actual market rates.

My biggest criticism so far with any of the land rover products is the limited accessories available and the criminal prices Land Rover Australia try and charge for official gear. I costed their warn 9000lb winch and was quoted over $4,000 dollars. There are equivalent spec models around for less than half that. 'Black Betty' Java Black RRS 07 TDV6

Post #228036 Sat Jun 13 2009 9:43am
mercuryl

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I love my RRS - but if I were you, I would stick with your FFRR. They are not as sexy looking (but still quite good) but the FFRR is a superior 4x4 when compared to the RRS.

From the demonstrator and service loaner FFRR examples that I have driven - there is no contest.

WHy not get another demonstrator FFRR if you want the Vogue or go for a year or two year old example? Still 'younger' than your current 2005. I've been mad for flipping years, absolutely years, over the edge for yonks.

Post #228039 Sat Jun 13 2009 10:33am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Can the warranty be extended with another policy, either same or new company, that would seem to be the way to go and probably the least expensive if happy with everything else.

Post #228054 Sat Jun 13 2009 8:03pm
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Jimmy Salsa wrote:

As for warranty, I am about to purchase a 3 year extended warranty for the RRS which costs about $2,800. It is an exact copy of the current warranty

Jimmy i paid $1900 for a full 3 year Allianz warranty through Alto LandRover in Sydney, and the Allianz warranty has had some good press from the D3 site, and the aftermarket company i now use (Ayers Automotive) for all servicing and repairs..

The Allianz one limits it to 3 years/80,000 KM's after the LR warranty expires, to a total of 160KM's on the clock, or what happens first. Main requirement, no modifications and serviced by authorised/accredited dealer (not franchise)

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #228063 Sun Jun 14 2009 4:30am
tsholdings

Australia 

Zilch wrote:
Jimmy Salsa wrote:

As for warranty, I am about to purchase a 3 year extended warranty for the RRS which costs about $2,800. It is an exact copy of the current warranty

Jimmy i paid $1900 for a full 3 year Allianz warranty through Alto LandRover in Sydney, and the Allianz warranty has had some good press from the D3 site, and the aftermarket company i now use (Ayers Automotive) for all servicing and repairs..

The Allianz one limits it to 3 years/80,000 KM's after the LR warranty expires, to a total of 160KM's on the clock, or what happens first. Main requirement, no modifications and serviced by authorised/accredited dealer (not franchise)

Cheers

Zilch, I asked Lance Dixon whether they could offer me an extended warranty through LR or point me to a third party and the answer was NO. Pretty disappointed if it is available and they couldn't be bothered with helping me as I have bought 3 cars through them in the last 10 years.

I guess I could buy this extended warranty through my insurance broker?? Are you able to give me the name of the policy so I can do a little more research?

Thanks. Thumbs Up

Post #228064 Sun Jun 14 2009 5:03am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

RRS Cool 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #228068 Sun Jun 14 2009 6:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

tsholdings wrote:
Are you able to give me the name of the policy so I can do a little more research? Thumbs Up

The product is from Allianz, its the "Extended New Vehicle Warranty Insurance, supplied by Allianz Australia,

Basic Premium on the RRS is $1844 not 1900, plus stamp duty and tax, makes it a total of $2.2K by the time the govt takes its cut.

Its even transferable to a new owner if you sell the vehicle before 3 years/80K's . I got mine from Alto Landrover at Artarmon, NSW, so may be worth giving them a call ? they could point you in the right direction

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #228086 Sun Jun 14 2009 9:15am
tsholdings

Australia 

thanks - that looks quite simple. I'll check it out.

Post #228087 Sun Jun 14 2009 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1