RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Best roof rack for kayak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bgreig

United States 
Best roof rack for kayak

I would appreciate suggestions about the best roof rack set up for carrying a kayak. Thanks,
BGreig

Post #192 Fri Jun 10 2005 2:32am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I believe the RRS uses the same roof rail system as the Disco 3. In that case the LR supplied roof bars are only rated to cover about 100 lbs of weight, which is very low. In LR pictures you will only ever see 1 kayak attached to the roof. In real life we need a roof rack system that carries at least 4 kayaks (on their sides). As we use Prijon boats (hard dense plastic), the weight would be well over 100lbs so when used like that it would be out of recommended parameters with possible consequences for insurance, road saftey etc. I suspect the roof rack would be well capable of carrying that weight but LR are deliberately leaving a huge margin for error. Having said that I suspect the weak link is the roof rails themselves, and if a vehicles was in a fast speed collision when carrying a heavily loaded roof rack, I wouldn't be surprised if the rack was to part company with the roof thereby launching a very heavy missile to do even more damage to what ever the vehicle hit. Other things to worry about is the difficulty in loading a rack which is so high up, and the effect on the vehicles centre of gravity.

Post #201 Fri Jun 10 2005 7:50am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Smart 100lbs is only 50kg so you can load a few more up there before you reach the 75kg weight limit! I too use a roof rack a lot but hate with a passion these roof rail systems, I think they ruin the lines of the wagon, same with the big RR on which I used the sports bars when I wanted to carry more windsurfers that would fit on my small Ivor Williams P60, 6ft x 4ft trailer. The other draw back is that the roof rail systems are permenent and create a heap of extra wind noise and drag. Sports bars cannot be fitted to the RR Sport as there are no little flaps in the roof like the big RR had for them to screw into.
Record so far was 6 boards and all the masts, sails and other kit on the trailer and another 4 boards on the roof of the big RR! Drove it from Stirling to Oban and then ferry out to Tiree and it didn't feel as if there was anything on top or behind...... and there were 4 of us (all adults) nside + all the clothing for 2 weeks holidays on a Hebridean Island

I have the accessories brochure so if folks want some scanned in pics of the load system, just say so

Post #204 Fri Jun 10 2005 7:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renny

Scotland 

Didn't know you were into wind surfing Tim. K has just started and got her RYA 1 whilst out in Turkey a couple of weeks ago and wants to progress, but nowhere near us to hire kit.

I prefer a bigger hull and go for Lasers as a minimum. Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #221 Fri Jun 10 2005 1:22pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Renny the garage loft is bulging with 3 boards, 6 masts, 10 sails, 5 booms..... well you get the picture! That's why I have a trailer.
Port Edgar Marina might do hire/ lessons otherwise give Mach In Lady lawson Street Edinburgh sell and advise on places on the east side.

K will need a wetsuit though for any sailing over here! If she would like to borrow a board/ kit then I can provide and take you sailing on Loch Lomond.

Post #226 Fri Jun 10 2005 6:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1