RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Are most dealers having a hard time of it.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cedric

United Kingdom 
Are most dealers having a hard time of it.

I am always keen to test drive lots of different cars and so end up on many mailing lists.
Over the last few days I have been inundated with both mail & email offers, most of which require action before the end of September.
One that has surprised me was being sent a "cheque" for £2,000 by the local Jeep dealer to use on virtually any Jeep including the new Grand Cherokee CRD. As this is a totally new vehicle, complete with the new Mercedes 3.0 V6 CRD engine, you would expect quite a waiting list. Having tried the vehicle, and having owned several Jeeps in the past, I must say I was dissappointed, though the engine was quite nice.
Shame that Land Rover don't want to give me £2,000 off the RR Sport.

Post #2186 Thu Sep 08 2005 11:17am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I think that Land Rover has executed some very clever and fantastic product marketing for the launch of the Sport, which have culminated in it being a highly desirable SUV, despite the now worldwide bad feelings towards these types of car. Some motoring magazines and journalists have said the RRS confuses the brand image and doesn't belong to the marque, I think that's rubbish, I can see exactly who it is aimed at as I am one of those people, and that's why I am spending nearly £60k on one instead of £35K on a second hand Range Rover...it fits the bill perfectly.

I think the timing was brilliant, the X5 had just had a facelift but not that much different, the ML, well the less said the better but being voted worst car in the UK last year in the JD Power survey was not a good result and only boosted Landrover, despite their previous poor quality and reliability issued with the P38 and Disco3.

There are some truly excellent cars coming into the market right now and the ones that are worth the money and worth the waiting are almost a self fulfilling prophecy...

i.e

Range Rover Sport
    BMW M5
    Aston Martin DB9/Vanquish/Vantage
    Jaguar new XK
    Porshe 997

etc

Clearly there are more but these are just some of my personal favourites in order of preference. (Plus I ordered my Supercharged over the new M5 as I didn't wish to wait until 2007 to get one!)

It's cars like those above which are harder to get discounts on from dealers, if you want an X5, I know how much BMW dealers are willing to chop off a new car, it's scary, pity I don't want one!

The flip side is that hopefully when you come to sell your RRS the market will still be as boyant for them and you'll not lose as much as the man in the X5... L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2240 Mon Sep 12 2005 3:36pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

RRUK wrote:

Clearly there are more but these are just some of my personal favourites in order of preference. (Plus I ordered my Supercharged over the new M5 as I didn't wish to wait until 2007 to get one!)

Actually that crest of unavailability is starting to flatten off now with the new M5. Although if you want one really soon, you may have to pay a premium for it, but BMW GB are trying to get all orders from now fulfilled by the end of 2006. They are lucky the M5 has actually taken to the market like it has unlike the M3 CSL when they released that... that was a bit of a damp fart. Wink
RRUK wrote:

It's cars like those above which are harder to get discounts on from dealers, if you want an X5, I know how much BMW dealers are willing to chop off a new car, it's scary, pity I don't want one!

Couldn't agree more - when I was at my local BM dealer looking at X5s they were magically able to drop 4k off the list price AND discount the finance deal just to get their unallocated X5s into new homes. It was a nice car, don't get me wrong... drove really well, but didn't pull off the whole package like the RRS.
RRUK wrote:

The flip side is that hopefully when you come to sell your RRS the market will still be as boyant for them and you'll not lose as much as the man in the X5...

This is what my car broker thought too... one of the reasons why buying the RRS made more of a sensible buy.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2241 Mon Sep 12 2005 4:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1