RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > HDC vs Low Range
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Theo_Pental

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
HDC vs Low Range

Im sure theres an obvious answer here but why does the RR Sport have HDC?

I remember it coming out on the first Freelander which didnt have a low range box

If I go down a moderate slope in my RRS I 'feel' as though I have a lot more control in 1st in low range than using HDC

Am I missing something here?

When should I use HDC and when should I crawl down in super low 1st?

I dont plan on getting it muddy but it would be good to know just in case Smile

Theo

Post #217397 Sat Mar 14 2009 7:05pm
ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi Theo
This was all explained to me at a LRE day in Jan
We drove down a steep decline in low range, 2nd gear when we hit a simulated (rollers) ice or loose patch the car violently gained speed and felt out of control
We drove down the same decline with HDC on in the same gear and low range this time when we hit the loose the HDC took over stopping the car from losing control, a massive difference
The next time we drove up towards the loose stuff we simulated a failed climb the HDC allowed us a safe reverseing passage back down the hill
This all came into practise on a compacted snow/ice decline some weeks later i tried low range the traction control/diff locks tried to slow me down but felt very hairy as there was huge drops eiher side so i engaged HDC and hey presto controled descent!
I know this isn't the most technical explanation but it is a practical one!

Ash MY10 3.0 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20" Diamond Turned Alloys, Factory Privacy Glass, Premium Leather, Contrast Stiching, Side Steps, Etc

Gone 2006 '56' 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Zermatt Silver, 20", Side Steps, Brembos, Dynamic Pack, Etc

VW Transporter, 19" Rims, T32 170 BHP, Lowered

Post #217406 Sat Mar 14 2009 9:03pm
terrieremery

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

i was lucky enough to experiment with my rrs in the snow on exmoor , the hdc gave near total normal control
even on flat ground it kept in line ,it was a huge benifit on top of low range which i never really needed. this vehicle is such fun in the snow worth every penny my advice would be to find a muddy area off road and go and experiment

Post #217423 Sat Mar 14 2009 10:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Two tips:-
Don't leave HDC switched on the whole time in whatever situation you are in - switch it off when you have finished with it otherwise you will eat brake discs and pads, HDC takes a heavy toll on them if you leave it switched on unnecessarily, even off road. Remember you can switch it on at ANY time and it will take over.

You can adjust the speed that the HDC will allow the car to travel at by using the + & - keys of the cruise control

If you are going up a very steep slope and stall it is much safer to reverse back down using HDC, don't even think about trying to turn the car around to head downslope as you may well roll as soon as you get into a side slope situation.

Theo what you are saying about using low first is not wrong, that's how cars without HDC but with low range boxes have to do steep dscents under control - using engine braking 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #217425 Sat Mar 14 2009 10:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Theo, something for you to read... Wink

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10024/HDC.pdf Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #217444 Sun Mar 15 2009 10:45am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Clever stuff.

You'd have thought that with all the clever 4x4 gadgets on LR's that somebody like BMW would have 'Applied' a few... Whistle Whistle Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #217445 Sun Mar 15 2009 10:51am
Misery

United Kingdom 

Sorry if I don't get involved in this thread but two questions, are these cars really built to be taken off road?? You don't need to use HDC when driving down off a curb??. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #217446 Sun Mar 15 2009 11:24am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

To be fair Mis, some do actually take theirs off road Shocked Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #217479 Sun Mar 15 2009 6:19pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

And then when people see it going off road they can't belive it as "it's not a proper LandRover" Shocked
Anyway, thats the feedback I was getting when ever I take mine off road.

One thing tho, when the whole sand dune is sliding down with you HDC dosn't help much Confused Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #217482 Sun Mar 15 2009 6:52pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You should see the doubting Thomas's faces when they see a 3 week old TD6 FFRR coming up out of huge mud pit at them and it's on road tyres and it has gone through without TR (FFRR didn't have TR when it was launched) or getting stuck..................................... got me a photo of mine in LRW and a mountain of flack on their forums back in 2003! It certainly silenced all the talk about useless modern Land Rovers. I think some of VA's offroad antics with his last Sport also silenced a lot of that brigade too. If you really want to amaze the doubters then take a Freelander1 auto and take it across a marsh/ bog and then tell them to do the same thing in their tricked up cars - they generally bog down and sink and the Freebie sails across because it is so much lighter - but don't even think about getting a Freelander1 to do what a Suzuki Jimny/Vitara or SJ can do, because it will be laughed off the field as it doesn't have the low ratio gears they have! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #217484 Sun Mar 15 2009 7:32pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Have to say, I am pretty amazed what some of the local kids get their SJ's to do offroad Shocked

Albeit with massive off road tyres and snorkles etc but still... Thumbs Up Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad

Post #217495 Sun Mar 15 2009 8:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1