RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Do Not Expect Bluetooth to work per Land Rover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bgreig

United States 
Do Not Expect Bluetooth to work per Land Rover

After repeated trouble getting my Blackberry 7100t to work with the PTI through Bluetooth, I went to the dealer. Dealer said the system only works with a limited number of phones and they could do nothing. Referrred me to Land Rover Customer Care.

Customer Care admitted sales literature saying PTI is Bluetooth would lead a reasonable customer to think it worked with Bluetooth cell phones. But admitted that it does not. Land Rover has known this by testing many phones but has not publicized this fact, including its knowledge that Blackberry phones do not work. Land Rover offers no compensation and will do nothing about the problem other than telling you to buy another phone. They told me of no plans to remedy the situation and repeatedly said that they do not sell the Bluetooth device in the vehicle but that it comes from someone else and is therefore not their problem. Thanks,
BGreig

Post #1964 Fri Aug 26 2005 3:26am
tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

===

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 1:34pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #1968 Fri Aug 26 2005 7:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Remember, this Nokia/LR PTI system is not "new"... Range Rover has had it for a while, with the same limitations. Based on history, I wouldn't bet on much improvement anytime soon. Land Rover is not hiding this. As tasmod said, there has always been an approved/tested list.

Since the system isn't full featured in Bluetooth-only mode, you should honestly buy a phone has has a compatible cradle... if at all possible. Of course, no Blackberry can dock.

Post #1974 Fri Aug 26 2005 3:14pm
mnederlof

United States 

I have to side with bgreig on this one. I bought an 05 RR in 2004 on the promise of bluetooth phone capability. The dealer did not disclose the "approved" list--in fact they weren't aware of it.

My wife is not very "background-noise" compatible...so she was Censored off each time I called her from my car with bluetooth phone link hands free (FYI, the phone I use is a Verizon Moto V710...not on the approved list). When my boss got Censored off at the lousy quality of service, I went back to the dealer, who referred me to Cust Care (without referencing the list of phones). It took the North American technical engineer for Land Rover to refer to the list and give apologies. OK, the RR was a nice car anyway, but come on, the feature basically isn't ready for prime time. The suggestion was to a) get a cradle AND b) get one of the compatible phones for the cradle. Problem: none were offered by Verizon, with whom I have a contract.

I ended up just getting a HS710 bluetooth headset from Motorola...when my phone rings, I flip open the headset and hook it on the ear. Great sound quality, hands free, and cheaper (and boss & wife compatible)!

When I sold the RR and got a RRS, I haven't even tried the BT connection...just sticking with the headset. To be fair, the dealer (a different one; I've avoided the original dealer) now is up front about the compatibility issue, but only just.

I've heard of other car manufacturer issues with BT---usually it's about syncing contacts, or showing information about the phone connection on the car display, but I've not heard connection quality issues near as much as with Land Rover.

It's a shame.

Maarten 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #2060 Tue Aug 30 2005 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1