RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Diff noise!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

cowey101

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Diff noise!

I have noticed a loud noise and also a jerking motion whilst applying the accelerator over the last couple of weeks. I had a similar problem with my E46 M3 and after several visits to my local BMW dealer with no satisfaction, it finally broke. The diff was totally F Censored d! and when BMW towed my car and repaired it they said the loud banging noise was the diff on its last legs, and it finally gave up. A new diff was fitted and my car had only covered 25k Whistle

So back to the point. I noticed the noise in the RRS was similar to that my M3 was making so I took it to my local dealer today (Stratstone). After I described the problem to them and said I thought it was a problem with the diff, he asked me for the registration as there is a RECALL on certain models relating to the diff!!! He put my details in and said my model was under recall (although I not recieved a letter yet) but "it is in the post" Whistle

Anyway it is booked in for the 4th August to get sorted. I will keep you posted Thumbs Up Java Black TDV6 HSE - Java Grandes Marques 1/18 - Ducati 749s

Post #179013 Mon Jul 21 2008 4:20pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Interesting.......thought I'd heard somewhere about this diff recall. Mentioned it to the dealer about 4-5 weeks ago who informed me it was not the RRS. Told me it was only the FFRR Confused

Cowey101, See if you can find out which models and VIN range Question Thanks. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #179109 Tue Jul 22 2008 10:36am
cowey101

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Josh, im off for a weeks holiday tomorrow so when I get back il see what I can find out about VIN numbers/year etc Thumbs Up Java Black TDV6 HSE - Java Grandes Marques 1/18 - Ducati 749s

Post #179137 Tue Jul 22 2008 1:36pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

mmm, interesting... LR insisted that my Diff was replaced by the dealer despite them saying it was the transfer box. It was teh transfer box http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic9684.html GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #179491 Thu Jul 24 2008 6:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

looking throughthe forums, looks like this is going to be the next common one, can we get it "sticke'd" below the knocking? GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #179495 Thu Jul 24 2008 6:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Done Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #179574 Thu Jul 24 2008 9:14am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I had the front diff replaced last month on my 06 HST, and there was someone else in the garage at the same time having his done too. Was told the problem were leaking seals. My car still knocks occasionally when shifting gears; used to think it only happened in and out of 1st, but the other weekend it made a huge bang when trying to downshift. Probably gearbox though and not diff.

I had a diff 'explode' on me a couple of months ago (not in a RR). Problems first appeared as a whine when under power, almost as if the exhaust was holed. This whine got worse over the next 50 miles. Huge bang when pulling away from a traffic light. Pinion gear split in two, and many of the crown gear teeth had gone. Made a whole through the case too. 

Post #180488 Tue Jul 29 2008 7:12pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Which models or VIN #'s are affected by this recall? PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #180490 Tue Jul 29 2008 7:49pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Sad Sad Sad can only hope this is the exception rather than the rule SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE BUG AND SOMETIMES YOU'RE THE WINDSHIELD

2010 TDV8 Ultimate Edition, zermatt-ebony-grand lacquer, and all the goodies, plus Superchips Bluefin ECU performance upgrade, Gibson Performance exhaust tips

gone after only 7 months: MY10 TDV63.0 HSE, zermatt-ebony-anigree, Dynamic Response, Rear diff-lock, flappy paddles, premium leather, Sunroof, PTI, privacy glass, S/C design 5 Spoke Diamond Turned alloys

Post #180536 Wed Jul 30 2008 8:24am
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine is in at the stealers for what they say is a "transmission noise" Exclamation

Apparently, the stealer contacted LR tech to ask if the transmission could be replaced as thats where they thinkl the noise is from and they initially said yes, but asked to see a photo of the oil which was black Exclamation Exclamation

At this point the tech team told the stealer to replace the oil only Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

When I went down to pick up the vehicle I asked what they had done and was told the above so I refused to take the vehicle away. As far as I am aware black oil in the transmission is only caused by a fault or the incorrect oil being put in there in the first place and even the stealer said that the niose was less audible but was still there, so the problem still exists Evil or Very Mad

LR customer services are now talking to the tech team and the stealer trying to sort out this problem as I aint taking the vehicle away until its sorted and have already mentioned refusal of the vehicle as its only 8 months old with 7800 miles on the clock Exclamation "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #180917 Fri Aug 01 2008 10:14am
Japseroony

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Japseroony wrote:
Mine is in at the stealers for what they say is a "transmission noise" Exclamation

Apparently, the stealer contacted LR tech to ask if the transmission could be replaced as thats where they thinkl the noise is from and they initially said yes, but asked to see a photo of the oil which was black Exclamation Exclamation

At this point the tech team told the stealer to replace the oil only Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

When I went down to pick up the vehicle I asked what they had done and was told the above so I refused to take the vehicle away. As far as I am aware black oil in the transmission is only caused by a fault or the incorrect oil being put in there in the first place and even the stealer said that the niose was less audible but was still there, so the problem still exists Evil or Very Mad

LR customer services are now talking to the tech team and the stealer trying to sort out this problem as I aint taking the vehicle away until its sorted and have already mentioned refusal of the vehicle as its only 8 months old with 7800 miles on the clock Exclamation

Well things just get better and better or should that be worse and worse Exclamation

LR have just called me and said they have given permission to replace the transfer box - not the transmission. Correct me if I am wrong but these are two seperate components aren't they with one being the actual gearbox and the other the transfer box Question

The stealer has now said that they replaced the oil in the transfer box and not the tranmission as they insisted yesterday Exclamation

Is this some intervention from LR to replace the transfer box (a much cheaper item than the transmission) and not the transmission Question

I will be listening for any kind of noise when I get it back and making big noises at LR if there is a slight squeak Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil "UNDERSTEER" ----is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" ------is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" ----is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" -----------is how far you take the fence with you.

Post #180977 Fri Aug 01 2008 2:54pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

So...is there actually an official recall or is there a TSB (Technical Service bulletin) associated with this problem. If so, could you share it? Thanks. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #180996 Fri Aug 01 2008 4:59pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I'm not sure this actually includes the RRS.... there's definitely an Assurance Programme ongoing for the FFRR about the transmission, but I didn't think it applied to the RRS.

Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #181180 Mon Aug 04 2008 8:16am
Josh

United Kingdom 

shmoogle wrote:
I'm not sure this actually includes the RRS.... there's definitely an Assurance Programme ongoing for the FFRR about the transmission, but I didn't think it applied to the RRS.

Confused

That's what I was shown a few weeks ago. FFRR only. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #181192 Mon Aug 04 2008 8:54am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

There was a Service Action Bulletin issued late 2006 concerning "Rear Differential Oil Contamination".
This applied to RRS Vin Range from LS 6A980551 to LS 7A986567. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #181213 Mon Aug 04 2008 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>