Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRS Diff. lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

sportman

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue
RRS Diff. lock

Hi

Yesterday I had I a chance to visit my local dealer, I asked him whether in the supercharged model rear Diff. lock is an optional or fit as a standard. He could not answer my question finally he thinks that it is standard feature. Any one can answer my question….more over how the driver can lock it? is it through terrain response system or there is separate on/off switch to activate rear diff. lock?

Post #1223 Wed Jul 27 2005 7:19am
Biggles

England 

Sportman,
The rear diff lock is not a standard feature and is only available as an option through the range. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1225 Wed Jul 27 2005 8:04am
grommet

United States 

Asked/answered elsewhere. Yes, rear locker is optional. (FYI: It doesn't make a huge difference and is probably a waste. RRS/Disco 3's Terrain Response is very capable with or without.) And no, you can't control it manually. TR takes care of it.

Post #1226 Wed Jul 27 2005 8:57am
Quasimoto

United States 

I did some rigorous off roading in my week-old HSE this weekend, and found it fascinating to watch the "4x4 mode" on the display switch on the center and rear diffs at different times. For some reason I expected the the rear diff to lock less frequently than the center, but they both locked (together and independently) about the same amount. Though at times it appeared the rear locked more frequently and for longer periods. -QM

Post #1324 Mon Aug 01 2005 3:53am
sportman

4X4 informations

Thanks for your opinion. just I like to know what exactly 4X4 information
can tell us diff. position wheels positions and what else?
If the RRS is not equipped with rear diff lock that means it will be not show there or still the terrain response will show both center and rear even the rear is not there..i got confused that why I asked..coz here in Dubai the dealer is saying that the models available are with out rear diff. locks but on the display is show both position rear and ceter..so who I should believe the display or dealer info pls help..coz i really what to have it
and if it is there on display I hope it is really equipped in these gulf spec. models

Post #1452 Sat Aug 06 2005 8:49am
sportman

Rear Differential Lock
electronically controlled locking rear differential..that's mean it is not mechanical as I though..the reason I repost this subject again coz after my test I found "4x4 mode" on the display switch on the center and rear diffs at different times or together...so if RRS is not equipted with Rear Differential Lock how come I still see the rear diff is locking? is it TR doing that..and if the diff lock is equipted what make it difference..

Post #16877 Sun Mar 12 2006 9:57am
grommet

United States 

On the 4X4 Info Display, red is locked and green is unlocked. Yes, Terrain Response controls the locking differentials. If your vehicle doesn't have the rear locker fitted, the rear icon will still be displayed... but it should just stay green at all times.

Last edited by grommet on Sun Mar 12 2006 5:18pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #16883 Sun Mar 12 2006 10:17am
Josh

United Kingdom 

It shouldn't light up if its not there. My dealer said if it lit up then I'd got a freebie in error. Can't beleive that. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #16884 Sun Mar 12 2006 10:17am
grommet

United States 

If you climb underneath the vehicle and look on top of the rear differential, you might be able to see an attached actuator with wiring loom... that won't exist if you don't have the rear locker option. If you are lost, ask your service department to verify.

Anyway, it won't make much of a difference in most real world scenarios...

Post #16886 Sun Mar 12 2006 10:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't have it on mine but when I used the local LRE V8 at the ofroad centre I was surprised how soon and regularly it cut in too. I think like other folks say, unless you are doing the G4 Challenge in your car you will probably never need to use it for real! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #16892 Sun Mar 12 2006 10:51am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

It definitely helps in traditional 'cross-axle' situations - we've had rear-diff lock equipped and non-equipped D3's head-to-head and the one with difflock sailed straight through the cross axle whereas the non-equipped one had to be encouraged through using the traction control. Smile Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #16899 Sun Mar 12 2006 11:16am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
avus

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

can the rear diff be installed afterwards?

Post #16903 Sun Mar 12 2006 12:00pm
Slimer

United Kingdom 

Martin wrote:
It definitely helps in traditional 'cross-axle' situations - we've had rear-diff lock equipped and non-equipped D3's head-to-head and the one with difflock sailed straight through the cross axle whereas the non-equipped one had to be encouraged through using the traction control. Smile

Sounds familiar Wink 

Post #16904 Sun Mar 12 2006 12:05pm
Martin

United Kingdom 

Laughing

I'd like to think it was the far more skillful driver in the difflock-equipped D3 that made it look so easy Cool Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #16907 Sun Mar 12 2006 12:09pm
Martin

United Kingdom 

avus wrote:
can the rear diff be installed afterwards?

Not that we know of so far, although it's not been attempted Confused Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #16908 Sun Mar 12 2006 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>