RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Part leather seats
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

chex

It'll stay in Africa

I'd like the screen, but its too expensive too justify for a car thats going to be used in town most of the time.

She has a 3 series at the moment, the main reason for a 4x4 is so that she can access the broken roads within town rather than take it offroading.

I would take it off roading, but Im going to be in the UK for a few years yet

Post #16363 Wed Mar 08 2006 2:16pm
Roland

Switzerland 

chex wrote:
It'll stay in Africa

I'd like the screen, but its too expensive too justify for a car thats going to be used in town most of the time.

She has a 3 series at the moment, the main reason for a 4x4 is so that she can access the broken roads within town rather than take it offroading.

I would take it off roading, but Im going to be in the UK for a few years yet

So that will surely be the first RRS on the whole continent of Africa, outside the RSA that is.

Post #16390 Wed Mar 08 2006 3:47pm
chex

possibly - I doubt it though. The image people in the west have of RSA is a little inflated in relative terms. Theres plenty of countries that aren't too far behind in terms of a middle class population that can afford nice cars, houses etc.

I haven't seen any RRS's around in East Africa, but there are plenty of Disco's and RR's especially in the big cities, i.e. Nairobi etc.

Many X5s, the odd Cayenne, a few Touareg's

Buying costs there are extremely high for the public, but running costs and insurance aren't so it kinda balances out.

and I quote from a local blogger (http://bankelele.blogspot.com/2005/09/motor-show.html)

Quote:
New cars are quiet pricey, which is why a lot of Kenyans are importing or buying “Dubai” cars, and not from local showrooms. E.g. a Chevrolet Aveo was selling at 1.4m ($19,000) while a Nissan Sunny from DT Dobie was going for 1.7 - 1.9 million. But there are people who can write checks and buy cars at the show as someone did last year with the then new Range Rover...

Most of the manufacturer’s two prices for each car; the sale price, as well as the “duty free” price to entice diplomats, donors, churches and other tax-exempt buyers. E.g. While an embassy can buy a BMW 530i for 5.5. million shillings ($73,000), a Kenyan will pay 8.9 million shillings ($119,000) for the same car – 60% more. This disparity is found in all vehicle categories....

Car Prices
Here’s a sampling of some common 4X4 prices for locals:
BMW X5 9.3 million ($124,000)
Mitsubishi Pajero 4.6 m + VAT ($71,000)
Nissan Patrol 4.6 m to 5.1m ($68,000)

This explains why I'm buying from the UK.

Post #16448 Wed Mar 08 2006 5:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12