RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > My rear end.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

AlanM

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver
My rear end.

About a month ago, while we were stopped at a traffic light, a somewhat innattentive driver in a van drove into the back of us at about 40 mph. The left rear corner was demolished. The dealer/repairer has now fixed it and it looks new again.

However he says he did an alignment check and finding it a little out he set it right. Here is the question: Is it possible to change the alignment of the rear wheels? How?.
An aside: When we first went to pick up the vehicle, the dealer told us in sombre tones that there had been an incident on their parking lot and ours was one of the cars that had had its side window smashed.
The bu**er that did it stole all my parking money - $4.50 at least! I am happy to report that the cops got him; he plead guilty and probably got an hour or so of community service - for having caused $5000 of damage to get $20. Who says there ain't no justice?
. .
Come for a visit, Victoria is beautiful!

Post #142280 Sun Oct 21 2007 4:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

They'll probably find him a nice cosy minimalist designer cell with hot and cold running water, central heating and a 46" plasma panel TV on the wall instead - isn't it getting a bit bit Chilly out in BC for "community service" as we call it? Rolling Eyes Now that's justice in the 21st centuary. I believe in Holland, Sweden and German they even send some criminals home for the weekend! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #142295 Sun Oct 21 2007 7:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost
Re: My rear end.

AlanM wrote:
Here is the question: Is it possible to change the alignment of the rear wheels? How?

Hello AlanM, I don't know all of the details but yes the rear wheel alignment can be altered. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #142298 Sun Oct 21 2007 8:03am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Adjustment is all part of the 4 wheel alignment. Specs previously posted (note TDV8 differs from the rest of the models)

Front Suspension:

Castor = 4º 01' ± 45' (4.02º ± 0.75º)
Cross Castor = 0º ± 45' - Maximum (0º ± 0.75º - Maximum)
Camber = -30' ± 45' (0.50º ± 0.75º)
Cross Camber = 0º ± 45' - Maximum (0º ± 0.75º - Maximum)
King Pin Inclination (KPI) = 13º 54' (13.9º)
Total Toe - all models except TdV8 = - 0º 10' ± 12' (- 0.16º ± 0.20º)
Total Toe - TdV8 models only = - 0º 05' ± 12' (- 0.08º ± 0.20º)

Steering Geometry - Rear

Rear Suspension at Standard Ride Height:

Camber = -1° ± 45' (-1° ± 0.75º)
Cross Camber = 0° ± 51' - Maximum (0° ± 0.85º - Maximum)
Total Toe - all models except TdV8 = 0º 14' ± 0.08' (0.24º ± 0.14º)
Total Toe - TdV8 models only = 0º 24' ± 0.12' (0.40º ± 0.20º)
Thrust Angle = 0º ± 8' - Maximum (0º ± 0.14º - Maximum) Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #142309 Sun Oct 21 2007 9:14am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

All that stuff may as well be written is Swaheeli. It means Censored all to me. Embarassed Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #142310 Sun Oct 21 2007 9:20am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It is quite simple Andy - Honest
Well it is if you have got the later state of the art alignment equipment as a lot of the LR dealers have now.
But then I suppose it is knowing how to use it.
You get a feel for it so once you have done a few you know which bolt to turn and how much.
It makes it easier if you convert the degrees and minutes into MM. Or should we go back to inches and feet. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #142313 Sun Oct 21 2007 9:46am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

AndyM

All you need to know is the answer to your question - yes the alignment of the rear wheels can be changed during a 4 wheel alignment check and adjustment. This is normally necessary if the front or rear wheels have been put under excessive forces, such as in an accident. As Nutty Nige pointed out, this equipment needs to be operated by a trained and experienced technician who has gained a 'feel' for the adjustment needed. If carried out you should always ask for a printout of the Before and After results and the specification tolerances used.

IF IT IS A TDV8 MAKE SURE THE TECHNICIAN USES THE CORRECT SPECIFICATION AS AT THE MOMENT MOST DEALERS ARE NOT AWARE THIS MODEL IS DIFFERENT TO THE REST Exclamation Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #142315 Sun Oct 21 2007 10:09am
AlanM

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver

Thanks guys - especially rrsjo for the specs, and yes, I should have asked for printouts - I will attempt to get them tommorrow.
. .
Come for a visit, Victoria is beautiful!

Post #142344 Sun Oct 21 2007 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1