RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Navigation System Design Problems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Quasimoto

United States 
Navigation System Design Problems?

I had the chance to take my HSE on an extended off-road/camping excursion this weekend, and got to really try out the navigation system for the first time (having only had the truck for a week now). I probably haven't spent enough time with the manual as I should have -- only about 25 minutes -- but based on my experience using several systems by Garmin, and being in the business of hardware/software user interface design, I came across what seem to be real flaws with the nav system.

The most glaring one is the system's inability to accept just a town or city name as a destination. Frequently I don't have an exact address or POI when heading to (or want to use as a waypoint) a particular town, but it appears the system *requires* a specific address. I also can't use "City Center" as a POI coupled with a town or city name. I hope I'm wrong about this.

The other major frustration I had with the system involves its seeming inability to accept highway or route numbers when setting an "Intersection" destination. I wanted to go to the intersection of "Route 344" and "Highway 81", but no combination of inputs ("US Route 344", "Rt 344", "344", etc.) would allow me to specify intersections with numeric appellations. (I can find the intersection of "Smith Road" and "Darby Street" but not "Route 754 and Highway 3"). Again, this is something the Garmin software systems have no trouble with. Any ideas?

The last thing I was dismayed to notice -- annoying rather than really functionally limiting -- was the presentation of the Points of Interest list. When you request to "view all points of interest", a long list is presented, but it appears in what seems a random order. It starts with "All Restaurants", followed by cuisine types, followed by a random list (ie, not alphabetical nor ordered according to any logic I can understand). Anyone have any insight into this design "feature"? -QM

Post #1323 Mon Aug 01 2005 4:44am
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

On the subject of "City Center" that you mention specifically. Here in the UK you can call up 'Points of Interest' followed by 'Town Centre' which you can then combine with a town (city) name. Our terminology may be different but I would guess this answers your point.

For other UK (and European) drivers, I haven't been able to find Land Rover Dealerships anywhere on the Nav system. The handbook refers to it but I still can't find them. It's probably me but if dealers are buried deep in the system I'd like to know where...but more to the point why?

Can anyone help? Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #1386 Wed Aug 03 2005 1:49pm
caporajm

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Try hitting the SOS and it should list police, and then land rover dealerships. Hope that helps RRS S/C Special Edition, Vesuvius

Post #1388 Wed Aug 03 2005 2:47pm
Quasimoto

United States 

Regarding the issue of setting just a city name as a destination, I've been able to figure that one out. Strangely, using the "City Centre" POI frequently doesn't work -- at least in North America. If one chooses "Find Address" then selects "Cities" and, after a city name is typed in and a list of city names is presented one must select "Show Map" (NOT "OK"). On the "Show Map" screen there's an option to set the city as a destination.

I still can't figure out how to use numbered roads ("route 23 and highway 7") with the "Find Intersection" feature, though. If anyone can solve that mystery (assuming it's solvable!) I'd be very interested in hearing. -QM

Post #1417 Thu Aug 04 2005 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1