RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > a new Noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

db

United Kingdom 
a new Noise

Morning all....I have discovered a new annoying noise on my RRS S/C.

Essentially when stationary and the engine idling I have discovered that every 10-15secs i can hear from the engine bay area what can only be described as a short (in length) light groan. I may have always had it but noticed it 2 weeks ago on a very quiet country road with no radio on while I sat at some temporary traffic lights...

Is this a 'feature'? Has anyone else heard it? It may of course still make the noise when moving too but over the road/engine noise it can't be heard. I think it tends to happen once the engine is up to temperature.

ANy thoughts? Any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance

Post #140669 Mon Oct 08 2007 9:24am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It might be one of the mice used to power the aircon pump.... it does get a bit hot in there and sometimes you can hear them moaning and groaning.

OK.... I don't know, sorry Embarassed I don't remember hearing anyone report a similar symptom. Sit tight and someone might have a (useful) response for you Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #140709 Mon Oct 08 2007 1:57pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think you might be looking in the right direction there Shmoogle, not the mice but the suspension - it could be the self levelling adjusting itself and venting out air or having a tiny fart as I have heard the techies refer to it!. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #140747 Mon Oct 08 2007 4:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kuke

Switzerland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

hmm now you mention it, i might have heared that noise aswell, but never payed any attention to it. I'd guess it's the pump for the air suspension, since the car (i think) adjusts the ride height when driving faster, so it has to go back up when coming to a stop. hmm, though i thought the air suspension pump is underneath the center console...in that case i dont know, maybe the breaks?

ps. does anyone else's supercharge enginge slightly starts sounding like a diesel after a year or so? Confused RRS SC Bonatti Grey

Post #140855 Tue Oct 09 2007 9:42am
db

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the responses so far.....It could be those things you mention....but its the almost metronomic regularity that makes me wonder....its every 10-15 secs without fail....

most likely some sort of pump doing its business....listen out everyone... (I think I tried it with the air con OFF....maybe I should go and try that again) Confused

db

Post #141200 Thu Oct 11 2007 9:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1