RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Q about HSE lag in acceleration through lower gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SoCal

United States 
Q about HSE lag in acceleration through lower gears

The HSE I test drove yesterday drove fine, but I noticed a bit of a lag in power when the auto transmission shifted between first and second and then second and third.

I was accelerating modestly from stoplights, applying the gas pedal conservatively. The car I test drove had only 3 miles on it.

Is this power lag when shifting through lower gears noticeable on all HSEs?

It wouldn't stop me from buying an HSE if it is. I'm just wondering about the car I test drove and whether it was typical.

Post #1370 Tue Aug 02 2005 4:55pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

It depends on what you are used to driving and how heavy it is etc, there are so many variables that can come into play that on a test drive, you are not going to get to know the car well.

Don;t forget the car's weight too and what it is trying to do for you. You also don;t mention if it was diesel or petrol. What do you currently drive that you are comparing it to? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1371 Tue Aug 02 2005 5:38pm
grommet

United States 

Did you have the transmission in "sport mode"? The transmission also adjusts to driving behavior as time goes on. But yes, do note this is one of the heaviest vehicles in it's class! It's no light sports car. It's a huge monster.

Post #1375 Tue Aug 02 2005 8:26pm
SoCal

United States 

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the SUV I have been driving for the last 10 years -- a Jeep Cherokee -- is almost 1,500 pounds lighter. But it is also a 6-cyl, with considerably less horsepower.

The RRS HSE has pretty decent pickup for its weight. It's not the lack of pickup from a standing start that I was noticing, but rather the "delay" (for want of a better word) in shifting between first and second and second and third.

There was not a smooth line of acceleration, but rather a bit of lag time where the car would "nod" slightly and lose power as it shifted.

Again, I'm not used to the weight, but I was wondering if others experienced this same characteristic in the shifting between lower gears.

I don't know what "Sport" mode is. Is there a "Sport" mode on a gas-powered HSE (non SC)?

Post #1379 Wed Aug 03 2005 12:38am
grommet

United States 

If you move the CommandShift™ (marketing!) automatic transmission shifter to the left (where it allows manual shifting up/down), the six-speed transmission is in "sport" mode. This is on all RRS vehicles.

Post #1380 Wed Aug 03 2005 3:42am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

SoCal wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what "Sport" mode is. Is there a "Sport" mode on a gas-powered HSE (non SC)?

As you don't know the Sport mode, I'll elaborate on that a little on the previous comment....

If you shift the gear leaver to the left, it goes into 'sport' mode and changes from a 6-speed auto to a 5-speed auto. You will notice that the dash display changes from 'D' to 'Sport'.
As soon as you move the gear leaver up or down to manually change a gear, it goes out of 'Sport' mode and into a manual shift mode and all six gears return.
To get it back to Sports mode, you have to shift it back to the right (D) and then left again (Sport). Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1383 Wed Aug 03 2005 8:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Simon

United Kingdom 

I have a 4.4HSE and do not recognise this "lag". With the (incredibly) low mileage it could still be in transit mode, i.e not yet pdi'd.

Post #1385 Wed Aug 03 2005 10:29am
SoCal

United States 

Does the Sport mode keep the car in lower gears longer?

What does driving in the Sport mode do to gas mileage?

Post #1395 Wed Aug 03 2005 5:47pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

SoCal wrote:
Does the Sport mode keep the car in lower gears longer?
What does driving in the Sport mode do to gas mileage?

Yes, it does keep in lower gears longer, but (on a diesel anyway) there isn't much difference between the two modes. With the pedal in the carpet, the gear changes at 4000 revs, which is too low. Obviously, the petrol models must change at much higher revs, but I wouldn't be surprised is there still isn't much difference between the two modes.

In sport mode, it would use more fuel. You only have 5 gears and that 6th gear does make a difference once your at your cruising speed. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1399 Wed Aug 03 2005 8:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1