RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Knocking and Hesitation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gazza500

Jersey 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White
Knocking and Hesitation

My 2007 2.7TDV6 HSE is going in to the local dealer next week to have the 'knocking' and acceleration hesitation looked at. These guys at jacksons Jersey have a poor reputation as they completely ***ed up an XKR of mine that went in for warranty work some years ago. Nevertheless having sppent 45k on my sport I think these things need sorting. I will keep you all posted.

Once it has come out of the dealer, I am going to have the 'black bits' painted then the oil and filter changed by others (ex landrover tecchies who have statred their own garage).

I will get this beast right!! Chawton White TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and Rodium, Automatic Climate Control,
Privacy Glass, 22 inch, Hawke Alloy Wheels, Brembo Front Brakes, Premium ICE Pack, Clear repeaters, Chrome Driving Light Surrounds, Tasmods, Chrome handles, HST Grille, Chrome Side Vents, JE ECU Upgrade

Post #135159 Wed Aug 29 2007 4:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rupert

Ireland 

Snap !!

Mine is going in tomorrow for the very same complaints Rolling Eyes

Post #135164 Wed Aug 29 2007 4:22pm
gazza500

Let me know how you get on! Chawton White TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and Rodium, Automatic Climate Control,
Privacy Glass, 22 inch, Hawke Alloy Wheels, Brembo Front Brakes, Premium ICE Pack, Clear repeaters, Chrome Driving Light Surrounds, Tasmods, Chrome handles, HST Grille, Chrome Side Vents, JE ECU Upgrade

Post #135170 Wed Aug 29 2007 4:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rupert

Ireland 

Will do Thumbs Up

I'm getting the upgraded steering rack fitted to try to solve the knocking. All the bushings have been changed back & front, some of them (drop links & anti-roll bar) twice, but yet the knocking persists.

So we'll have to see what the new rack will do.

No thoughts yet on the acceleration issues, as it’s a relatively new development. So we’ll see what they come up with.

Post #135175 Wed Aug 29 2007 4:45pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 
Re: Knocking and Hesitation

gazza500 wrote:
n the oil and filter changed by others (ex landrover tecchies who have statred their own garage).

Oil and filter changed? Just don't want to pay dealer rates for that? 2022 P440e AB

Post #135215 Wed Aug 29 2007 8:45pm
gazza500

The further I can keep the car away from the dealer the better-past experience! Chawton White TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and Rodium, Automatic Climate Control,

Post #135257 Thu Aug 30 2007 6:46am
frizz

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Rupert,
I've had new anti-roll bars, upgraded bushes,DVD 107 "patch 5 installed a new rack and it still knocks, clonks and graunches.
The dealer cannot fix it, so they tell me it is a "characteristic" of the car.
Hope you have more joy.

frizz

Post #135338 Thu Aug 30 2007 5:05pm
Rupert

Ireland 

I hear you frizz, but I'll just have to wait & see.

They’ve kept the car in overnight, as they need to track it in the morning after the new rack was installed. There was a service to be done along with the rack & they just ran out of time.

The service manager has told me that they have replaced bushings on a few RRS’s in the past & the knocking has gone away. I’m on my second & in some cases third set of bushings & still no joy.

I know myself that the knocking is not in the steering rack, from the feel of it. But I was getting the shimmy in the steering, so no harm in having the updated rack fitted to try to solve that, particularly now that I have the 20” Stormers fitted.

I really do trust the dealer & know most of the lads in there & they will go after the problem like a terrier, but after a few sets of bushings & a new rack, I’m not sure what else can be done.

But at least they are trying to solve the issue.

Post #135361 Thu Aug 30 2007 10:19pm
Rupert

Ireland 

Update……….

Right so, been out driving over the weekend.

The new steering rack has completely transformed “Rupert” !

He’s much sharper on the road, turns in better & just feels way more positive. I had suffered from some shimmy in the steering at speed, since I put on the Stormers, but all that’s gone now. So a great success there Thumbs Up

The knocking in the front is still evident when going over moderately rough ground at low speed, so no change there Sad

But with a full set of bushings front & back, plus now a new rack, I don’t see that there’s much else to change to try to pin down the noise, so I feel I could be in the same boat as frizz & I suspect many others & will just have to live with it.

But at least I know nothing is going to collapse or fall off, as pretty much everything under the front has been checked & double checked at this stage.

With regard to the hesitation I’ve been noticing when overtaking or pulling away at a junction, they thought it could be a faulty airflow sensor or injector issue, as they have come across this fault on a few Sports, which caused symptoms like mine. But on investigation nothing has turned up, so I’m going to stay driving & see how the problem develops. Which I’m happy about.

That said though, “Rupert” also got a full service when he was in at the dealers & I feel the hesitation could be a bit less now, probably due to a new fuel filter. But as I’ve only been spinning around I can’t be sure, until I get out on the road again proper during the week.

So now, long winded I know, but there’s my report on the “Knocking and Hesitation” issues as experienced by me Smile

Last edited by Rupert on Sun Sep 02 2007 1:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #135841 Sun Sep 02 2007 1:26pm
gazza500

Thanks for the update. Mine goes in on Tuesday, so by Wednesday I should be able to report what happened. Chawton White TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and Rodium, Automatic Climate Control,

Post #135845 Sun Sep 02 2007 1:30pm
gazza500

hey Guys, just back from the stealer! I have some good some bad to report.

the new software upgrade has solved the hesitation, even on the overrun now the gearbox holds rather than just letting go! Pulilng off from standstill or accelerating from a rolling start is now a pleasure!

perhaps I am reading to much into this, but it seems to drive better, stiffer on the road etc. And it doesn't squat to one side when parked like a dog having a ~*%p

Overall 10 out of 10 to the stealer for this.

bad news is, apparently LR are now disowning the knocking problem by saying it is just one of those things. Strangely the stealer has already changed some bushes today in prep for me 'demanding' a new rack, which they will fit if I insist, which I did, so it has to go back again. But already i am listenng hard for the knocking which seems to have gone away for the moment.

Despite my poor report earlier the stealer seems to got their act together, good for them!

just got my tasmods today, boy does that stuff arrive quick!, thanks Rob

More soon. Chawton White TDV6 HSE with Alpaca and Rodium, Automatic Climate Control,

Post #136226 Tue Sep 04 2007 4:58pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Some good news some bad. I can not see how LR can wash their hands of the knocking problem, actually I can they realise it will cost them millions and unless someone takes legal action against them they will get away with it. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #136227 Tue Sep 04 2007 5:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1