RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Having second thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Having second thoughts

I am on the verge of putting money down to get the RRS (having finally advanced up the waiting list far enough) but confess to a slight feeling of doubt. We already have a Disco 3 (the wifes car) but am attracted to the idea of replacing my Merc E320cdi with a a RRS which shares the Discos same great engine, autobox, floor pan etc. However now I have seen many RRS in the flesh, sat in a few and driven one I am starting to get nagging doubts. The vehicle looks a touch too "bling", particularly from the rear quarter, the headroom is very small (almost claustrphobic), the useable boot space is slight due to the rake of the rear and all for more money than the Disco 3, which has simpler styling, 7 seats, buckets of space and more headroom than York Minster. Am I being stupid, or should I just get another Disco 3 ?

Post #1263 Thu Jul 28 2005 9:03pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Why would you want two 2.6 tons 4x4s?

You already own a Disco 3 so IMHO I would keep the Merc or buy another sedan (faster, more economical, etc). I will replace my two cars (Disco 2 TD5 and a Volvo S60 2.5T) with a new RRS as the only car and I am sure I am going to miss swapping cars.

After a few days driving the slow and roughish Disco it's always sort of like being reborn when driving the comfy and very fast S60. Same the other way round when back in the Disco.

Roland

Post #1264 Fri Jul 29 2005 5:27am
Widdle

United Kingdom 
Re: Having second thoughts

Smarticus wrote:
I am on the verge of putting money down to get the RRS (having finally advanced up the waiting list far enough) but confess to a slight feeling of doubt. We already have a Disco 3 (the wifes car) but am attracted to the idea of replacing my Merc E320cdi with a a RRS which shares the Discos same great engine, autobox, floor pan etc. However now I have seen many RRS in the flesh, sat in a few and driven one I am starting to get nagging doubts. The vehicle looks a touch too "bling", particularly from the rear quarter, the headroom is very small (almost claustrphobic), the useable boot space is slight due to the rake of the rear and all for more money than the Disco 3, which has simpler styling, 7 seats, buckets of space and more headroom than York Minster. Am I being stupid, or should I just get another Disco 3 ?

I share your opinion Smarticus but this forum is probably the wrong place to ask the question! I am now looking at the Volvo XC90, new Merc ML or wait for it...a Cayenne S!

Post #1265 Fri Jul 29 2005 7:49am
Biggles

England 

Widdle, Nice to hear you are still around.
Our civil engineer has just opted to go for the XC90 over a disco 3.
I think this decision was more based on spec than anything else though volvo are offering an exceptional deal. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1266 Fri Jul 29 2005 7:58am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Smarticus wrote:

I can remember when the 1st ever Range Rover came out and at the time my parents had alway driven Jags, an XJS V12 at that particular moment. However given chance to drive the new 3 door "farmers vehicle"? for a while he was instantly hooked. It gave him more sense of occassion despite being worlds apart from the luxury of his XJS. Needless to say the XJS remained in the garage for aprox 12mnths before he decided it was time for it to go, he has been in RR's ever since.
If an RRS is too small, then for heavens sake, its a no brainer, just get yourself a Range Rover Vogue/Autobiography. It was a hard decision for me......... I was looking at either the last of the 05 model year RR vogues full loaded with 20" alloys rear dvd screens etc....... but in the end thought I'd try my luck with a new Sport 4.2 supercharged. This being a decision based on leaping from a car that is all about performance ( my S4 ) and I just love the driving position and feel of the new RRS. Cool

Yes the XC90 is a nice car,popular and has good residuals, but as for the Porsche YUK itss just too pig ugly ( sorry ) just my opinion. Sad

But if it still comes down to size/space ...... it has to be a fully blown Range Rover. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #1267 Fri Jul 29 2005 8:54am
Widdle

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Yes the XC90 is a nice car,popular and has good residuals, but as for the Porsche YUK itss just too pig ugly ( sorry ) just my opinion. Sad

But if it still comes down to size/space ...... it has to be a fully blown Range Rover.

I really don't disagree about the Cayenne ugliness! I SO wanted the RRS to be right but when I saw it it disappointed me (only my opinion!) I tried out the Range Rover and that was great but TOO big.

If the RRS could match the performance of the Cayenne S, had a better quality centre console and didnt have those godawful plastic air vents on the front wings then I would have bought one.

As it is the dealer still has my £1,000 (havent asked for it yet) I could never seriously buy a Volvo, I havent found a Cayenne yet and I still check this forum everyday! Hi Biggles!

Post #1268 Fri Jul 29 2005 10:21am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I agree a bit more performance would'nt have gone a miss Sad and I too would prefer a wing without those tacky air vents, why they could'nt have come up with something more akin to those on the RR...... we'll never know?

Wait for the facelift model Sad Sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #1269 Fri Jul 29 2005 10:47am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Ask yourself if you NEED two 4wds, if not then stick with the disco and get something more normal and fun/economical.

When I get my Supercharged model we'll still have the wife's 3.0 SE auto BMW Z4 for fun times and when a big car is too much, though I suspect, that I'll always want to drive the Range Rover...and so might she! DOH! Crying or Very sad L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1281 Fri Jul 29 2005 1:58pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Smarticus,

I fell in love with the new Disco3 and went off to buy one a few months ago (before the RRS came out). It was then when I had to add the leather and auto gearbox (both extras on the model we wanted) it was getting expensive. I was then told about the diesel Sport that was due out that started at £34K that we then decided to hold out for it's release. We've ended up with a TDV6 SE with a few extras and hasn't cost much more than the equivalent Disco.
True, the RRS is a little 'bling' and we've had the 'footballer's wife' comments, but at the end of the day it is a Range Rover which is the premium Land Rover brand. The new Disco is great, but in a few years time there will be loads on the road and although it is a long way from the agricultural tractor of the previous Discovery, the Range Rover Sport should be a little less common and have the premium image.

The RR Sport is a large car and there is plenty of space in it. However, the Disco3 is just so much more spacious and practical that I have occasionally wondered if I made the right choice. I am very happy with the RR Sport and if you don't need the seven seats, then the Sport is spacious enough. Every time I sit in the drivers seat, I know I made the right choice after all. There is something about the way the centre console is raised and the comfort of the seat that make is just so pleasant to drive.

As you already have a Disco3, I would definitely get a Sport. Why have two cars the same? Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1299 Fri Jul 29 2005 11:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renny

Scotland 

I'm just back from looking at a RRS in the dealers. I was a bit concerned by the lack of space in the rear luggare area. It looks less than out old Tdi Discovery, never mind the TD5 that we have at present. I don't think there will be enough room for our two dogs (German Shorthair Pointers, which are quite tall). In fact the distance from the top of the rear seats to the rear screnn seemed about the same as in the Freelander which was sitting next to it. Sad

Our problem is that the Disco3 is longer than out present Discovery and the styling is still a bit suspect at the rear, too van-like. Its a shame because otherwise a RRS would suit us better as we don't need the 7 seats, but want the other features and as was said earier for a mid-range TDV6 spec, the prices are similar.

Oh well Rolling Eyes Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #1389 Wed Aug 03 2005 3:20pm
SoCal

United States 

Before you buy a Cayenne, be sure to visit a few Porsche boards. There is a lot of complaining about the Cayenne's vibration at speed -- apparently a long-standing problem that afflicts a sizeable percentage of the vehicles.

Post #1390 Wed Aug 03 2005 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1