RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > A disconcerting example of poor quality and bad service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
A disconcerting example of poor quality and bad service

I almost didn't read this but thought forewarned is fore-armed. This guy had a huge amount of issues with his RRS TDV6, one of course being the known suspension issue. His eBay advert was a mechanism to force Land Rover's hand and replace his car, which he seems to have managed in the end, but what a debacle.

I would also recommend reading all of the questions and answers at the end of the page, it's like a mini forum all on it's own!

An interesting read, I'd like to know what everyone thinks about it and whether I should have some doubts myself about my new car. I don't typically listen to opinions but I have been hearing more and more bad press about this car and Land Rover's treatment of customers. I hope to hell it's not going to happen to me. (Selfish I know) I've always defended Land Rover to the hilt as I am a life long fan, the more stories like this I hear, the more concerned I become.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...escription L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1229 Wed Jul 27 2005 5:16pm
Quasimoto

United States 

Not a pleasant story. Having had the car for less than 24 hours, I've still got the jitters. Part giddy with excitement, part afraid of how much coin I've dropped and how little I know about the vehicle's quality record. Driving home from the dealership yesterday, at around 60 mph, some belt began sounding off a continuous and disconcerting squeal. Lasted for about five minutes (I backed off to 50 mph). Thankfully, didn't hear it this morning -- I assume it's just a factor of having only 2 miles on the odometer when I drove it off the lot. In the negativity vein, I saw this review today, which I think is the "least positive" I've yet read on the RSS...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0507/27/F01-260055.htm -QM

Post #1230 Wed Jul 27 2005 5:36pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
rrs in USA

I am a little surprised re the remarks on the rrs from the usa,
the reports from there have been very much critisied, but i cannot see what they can compare it with. there is not much made there that is that good. mercedes made there ML there, and they have been improving it since day one. and only now after say 5 years has it been reasonable.
the reports here in the uk are mostly very favourable of the rrs, but i will accept that it is only a mechanical machine, and they must and do sometimes go wrong !just look at the recent space shuttle !
look throught the forum on the rrs here, and you will find mostly praise about the vehicle , and only the rare problem. also to drive a brand new vehicle straight from the showroom at such a high speed, does not really say much for for the driver whoever they are ,need a few more miles on the clock to get the feel of the vehicle
now my rrs friends in this room, please back me up .

Post #1231 Wed Jul 27 2005 7:36pm
Widdle

United Kingdom 
Re: rrs in USA

scorpio wrote:
I am a little surprised re the remarks on the rrs from the usa,
the reports from there have been very much critisied, but i cannot see what they can compare it with. there is not much made there that is that good. mercedes made there ML there, and they have been improving it since day one. and only now after say 5 years has it been reasonable.
the reports here in the uk are mostly very favourable of the rrs, but i will accept that it is only a mechanical machine, and they must and do sometimes go wrong !just look at the recent space shuttle !
look throught the forum on the rrs here, and you will find mostly praise about the vehicle , and only the rare problem. also to drive a brand new vehicle straight from the showroom at such a high speed, does not really say much for for the driver whoever they are ,need a few more miles on the clock to get the feel of the vehicle
now my rrs friends in this room, please back me up .

Er, no!

Driving a car at such 'high speed' - 60 mph is not a high speed in a new car. The amount of faults that people experience in brand new £40-60,000 cars from Land Rover is not acceptable. So much so that I have cancelled my order as a result. Suspension faults, lifting bonnets, loose panels are a result of poor quality control nothing more nothing less.

Also why should reports of faults from the US be discounted? If a car has faults it has faults

Post #1232 Wed Jul 27 2005 9:09pm
grommet

United States 

Honestly, does the lack of perfection on some vehicles surprise anyone? It's still a Land Rover. As of last year, they were at the very bottom of quality surveys. Yes, RRS/Disco 3 is all new and has a better chance... but I sure wouldn't expect a jump to the top 10.

Post #1233 Wed Jul 27 2005 9:24pm
caporajm

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
My rant

You're absolutely correct. I feel people have a negative opinion of Land Rovers from teh begining. That last article shows that and is so bias that it's pathetic. The writer probably is prone to Hummers or most of the American trash (I'm American, I can say that Laughing) The writer just mentioned the positives, and that causes for an uninformative article. I mean come on, so some guy is using Ebay to get his point accross. That's lame as well. These things happen.. they shouldn't, but sometimes they do. My dealer has bent over backwords for the 3 weeks that I've been a proud owner of mine that I'm sorry I'm moving so I can't be his client for the meantime. My mom's Porshe 911 has been in the shop so much that my Dad bashes it for being a crappy car and look where Porsche ranks in the realibility catagories. These things happen! From the start, I saw the reports of where Land Rover was and that was a concern for me, but then I looked out at the SUV market, and saw absolutly nothing that had as much style and soal as this car. If you want to bash the car, don't do it in the forum because WE have no time, no need, and no use for that kind of behavior in an amazing forum. If you are in the market for this car, think about why you're buying it. I bought it based on the emotions I got when I saw it at the Detroit Auto Show, Cleveland Auto Show, and even driving it at the Land Rover Off Roading in Moab, Utah. This car speaks to me that nothing else on the market does. I'd rather be seen driving this to the dealer for repairs (which I have encountered NONE that I wasn't able to fix), then being seen in any other SUV.

Thank You, RRS S/C Special Edition, Vesuvius

Post #1234 Wed Jul 27 2005 9:40pm
Biggles

England 

Although I do feel for the guy in the ebay ad. I have had no problems with mine so far but as to the dealership thats a different matter.
I have been lied to, mislead, treated with ignorance. I once called in wearing my work boots and jeans and you would have felt that I had just killed the queen.
But at the end of the day it is the sport that I wanted more than any other car and I was prepared to take the risk, how many Land Rovers are there out on the roads that never have problems over many years of motoring. We will very rarely get to hear about these examples because the owners dont need to go looking for forums and the like to solve problems, I do wish that more people spent the time to tell how well most land rovers do perform.
Also having just parted with a BMW X5 that had had two turbos a major oil leak and when being serviced at the local dealer I was told that the car had no faults and did not leak oil any where (you should see my drive £3000.00 spent on paving to have your car dump oil is not impressive) then these problems as with any manufacture are spread industry wide.
It is also to be realised that in todays technological society we are all able to access and speak to a great many people the world over about complaints and pleasures with anything we own and buy. That the negatives are far more easily read and spoken about.
I do feel land rover and its dealerships have a way to go in providing a true and honest service to its customer in what I regard a prestige brand. I know people who would never buy some car marques again and some who swear by that same marque.
Land Rover should sit up and listen accept they have short comings and treat people with respect after all it is us who put them where thay are today. I doubt that they can control every dealer and never will be able to.
Its the way it is. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1236 Wed Jul 27 2005 9:59pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Sh*t happens....... I can tell you , even at Audi "Vorsprung durch Technik" ...... But handled properly you will be treated seriously & get a satisfactory result. I have had 2 brand new replacement cars from Audi: an S4 cab & TT through similar events as this. I will continue to buy Audi's and from that dealership. I have owned LR's and had issues ( always sorted ) & NO COMPLAINTS against my local dealer either.
A good friend of mine runs a fleet of cars including several Range Rovers, Bentleys,Aston Martins,Ferraris,Mercedes etc..... Hes a lucky chap, but has had just the same mundane problems with his assortment of cars...... all of which have been resolved in time. In fact we have enjoyed over time, great tales of whats gone wrong,whats been said,whats been done & how.... eventually we have been looked after.

So I read all these reports with a "Pinch of Salt" . Dont get me wrong, yes it's nice to know whats going on and hear of potential issues / problems , I sypathize with those it effects, but THATS LIFE.

If you let one bad experience with something put you off........ then, hey, how the hell are you going to get through the day!

In less than 10 days apart we have just had ( seperate incidents ) cyclists ride/crash whilst on pavement, into the TT which cost £175 & £150 to repair ( at our cost ) poor kids were upset enough as it was, HOW UNLUCKY IS THAT

I'M STILL GETTING MY RRS SUPERCHARGED........BRING IT ON

" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #1241 Thu Jul 28 2005 11:51am
RRUK

When is your S/C due to arrive? L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1242 Thu Jul 28 2005 12:47pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

My dealer is hoping for September........ not October.... but who cares, once it's here its better than a years wait Wink

I'll know more towards end/August when I return from my Holls Cool 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #1243 Thu Jul 28 2005 12:53pm
RRUK

I'm on a similar boat, going on hols for 1st 2 weeks in september and then car should be here on about the 25th.....nice L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1246 Thu Jul 28 2005 3:40pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
comments on RRS

Well said guys.
ps did you read in lastweeks papers, Paul mcartney (beattles ) brand new RR Rolls Royce failed to start after picking him up from the theatre and he had to go home by taxi. Rolls Royce replied that there was a technical malfunction, and it was still under warranty.. So even one of those can go wrong Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post #1250 Thu Jul 28 2005 3:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1