RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > [FAQ] WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 32 123 ... 303132>

rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?

The topics below all have one thing in common. They all report and discuss the same FAULT! Yes a FAULT that has never been rectified by Land Rover. If you have a S/C or 2007 onward TDV6/TDV8 HSE, then your car is fitted with DYNAMIC RESPONSE and is likely to develop a knocking noise which sounds like 'water pipe hammer knocks' coming from the area of the front suspension. If this is the case, then your car has a FAULT with the DYNAMIC RESPONSE system and, if like the high number of owners below, your dealer can't/won't fix it, then at least insist your dealer reports this 'water pipe hammer knock' noise to Land Rover as a FAULT, using an Electronic Product Quality Report or EPQ Report. STRENGTH IN NUMBERS.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6728.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic7057.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6757.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic7076.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic5669.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic5716.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic4548.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic5590.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic4945.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic4507.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic4282.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic3748.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic3288.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic3415.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic919.html?highlight=knocking
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic7264.html?highlight=

Last edited by rrsjo on Mon Jul 09 2007 4:42pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #123471 Thu Jul 05 2007 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Stickied and FAQ'd for ease of reference Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #123530 Fri Jul 06 2007 8:42am
Kaine

United Kingdom 
Re: WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?

rrsjo wrote:
If you have a S/C or 2007 onward TDV6/TDV8 HSE, then your car is fitted with DYNAMIC RESPONSE and is likely to develop a knocking noise which sounds like 'water pipe hammer knocks' coming from the area of the front suspension.

likely? do we know that? the biggest reported problem on rrsport for sure, but I think its clear its a setup/parts tolerance etc problem and not a parts/design problem as mine makes no noise at all

Post #123634 Fri Jul 06 2007 7:29pm
Darren

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Mine has this knock thru the ARC system also. Still in dealer, they have changed the steering column and have also shown me the LR bullitin regarding knocking thru the dynamic response and have said that it is normal. There is no fix as this is how it works apparently. The noise is the hydralic valves. The bullitin states at 20 mph rock the steering and a knock will be heard left to right. Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #124636 Tue Jul 10 2007 8:35pm
rrsjo

Darren wrote:
Mine has this knock thru the ARC system also. Still in dealer, they have changed the steering column and have also shown me the LR bullitin regarding knocking thru the dynamic response and have said that it is normal. There is no fix as this is how it works apparently. The noise is the hydralic valves. The bullitin states at 20 mph rock the steering and a knock will be heard left to right. Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Darren:

May I respectfully suggest that you need to spend more time reading through the various posts on this subject - these have been collated above.

Land Rover and some of their dealers try to persuade customers the knocking is a "characteristic of the vehicle" but quite a few people on this forum consider that the noise is unacceptable and see the "characteristic of the vehicle" bulletin as an excuse on Land Rover's part for not finding a solution to what they consider is a fault with their vehicle. Insist your dealer submits an Electronic Product Quality Report or EPQ Report to Land Rover. The more dissatisfied owners who do this, the sooner we shall see some action on Land Rover's part to find a solution. Thumbs Up

Post #124662 Tue Jul 10 2007 10:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrsjo

The following is a quoted from an earlier post by Nutty Nige and contains a test to positively identify whether the Dynamic Response 'KNOCKING FAULT' is present in your RRSport or whether a different fault is the cause of the knocking.

"I think we all need to be aware of all types of noises that are present at the minute so as not to get confused. The loud grinding noise heard when turning on full lock when cold is normally the steering lock stops and it normally does it when the suspension is still in entry mode. Any chattering noise or un-even feel in the steering can be the steering column or the lower column joints, on any slight vibration or wheel wobble you might need the modified rack mentioned above. The Dynamic Response knock that is called Characteristic is defined by driving at around 20mph on smooth tarmac, then snatch the steering wheel one way then the other- the harder you turn the stering wheel the louder the knock. Then switch the vehicle off remove the battery cover and you will find a long fuse box next to the battery. Remove the fuse box cover - 2 rows of fuses on the right hand side as you look from the front of the vehicle and a lot of relays on the left. The row of fuses that are nearest to the relays and furthest from the wing, count back from the windscreen end including the fuses and the empty slots to the 5th fuse you will find it is 15amp. Pull this fuse out and close the bonnet. Start the vehicle, you will notice the red light on the dash a picture of a car with 2 arrows above it, this means the DR system is no longer active. Now carry out the same test at 20mph, You will find when you snatch the wheel the noise has gone. Stop the vehicle and replace the 15amp fuse. Replace the fuse box cover and the battery cover. Start the vehicle up and you will notice the light has extinguished- carry out the test again- the noise has returned. This is the characteristic noise mentioned in the technical service bulletin. I hope this helps."

Post #125041 Thu Jul 12 2007 10:59am
rodsport

I have a 2006 MY SC registered a month ago - I noticed this problem at low speed and was v concerned (as the same system had problems sending a water pipe type tapping through the brake pedal on delivery, which necessitated a software update).

I subsequently noticed the steering knock, took the car in to my dealer's service center and then took two LR engineers out to replicate the problem - FYI it seems much less pronounced with more weight in the car.They did know what I was talking even though it was happening in a watered down fashion.They also claimed that it was partly the result of steel ball joints as well as the electronic stability etc. I was also told it is "normal".

They then put the car on a hoist and checked the tightness of all the front suspension and steering joints - if you haven't ever looked underneath your sport you should - the way the rear transmission is mounted to the chassis looks like it is designed to withstand a nuke, and the chassis members look incredibly strong - basically the vehicle is seriously engineered whth what appears to be significant reserves of excess strength and torsional rigidity - vv impressive!

The vehicle was then plugged into the electronic diagnostic equipment to check the electronic suspension etc - it measures a whole series of values/parameters to make sure everything is within the required tolerances.

Perhaps this is commonly known but in case any of you haven't owners should see this test - the car dances around going back to front, side to side, corner to corner etc as the suspension is articulated. It looks a bit like one of those LA lowriders with trick remote controllable suspension. While I am not 100% satisfied, seeing this and watching the thorough way in which they went over the car meant that I left feeling more confident in the vehicle's integrity. Then I read this part of the website.................

I really love this car, but hope it doesn't let me down. Time will tell.

Any further advice on this problem would be much appreciated.

Cool Car

Very Happy new owner

Sad Problem

Post #125688 Sun Jul 15 2007 1:53pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

if it were a charateristic of the car then mine should have the knock too - but it doesn't - said this before but it sounds like an assembly or components tolerance issue to me

Post #125691 Sun Jul 15 2007 2:59pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Kaine,

Perhaps you should offer yours to LR and ask why you haven't got this characteristic Idea TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #125775 Mon Jul 16 2007 8:07am
rodsport

Guys - this thread should be joined by the admin police to the other (larger) one on the same topic - despite all this/these emails/qns there is no answer/realistic response from the manufacturer...................

Think of the amount of money the people on this website have spent on these cars.

V disappointing - moreso having read some of your (the collective members') posts on the topic

Banging Head

Post #127136 Sat Jul 21 2007 5:06pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Burn them ALL and in doing so liberate yourselfs from the knock...

...then buy a TDV8 Vogue Whistle

Post #127168 Sat Jul 21 2007 10:06pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black

Must be time for direct action!

Mine was looked at again recently, it has come back even worse! Not only has the tailgate rattle re-appeared after they replaced the plastic molded shroud on the locking mechanism - it had fallen off and was rolling around the boot space.

I reckon that they may now have disconnected the DR as mine now handles like an upside down jelly mold on acid! Rolling with laughter It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #133798 Thu Aug 23 2007 9:16am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

If your DR has been disconnected or the fuse has blown you will get a warning light on the drivers binnacle.

You must be driving your vehicle really hard if you think the handling has changed so dramatically. Normal day to day driving conditions shouldn't really have any effect on handling performance between vehicles with or without Dynamic Response. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #133847 Thu Aug 23 2007 1:07pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black

I do drive my RRS hard on occasions.

I have just returned from the south of France having recently traveled about 1200 miles the car does feel different for some reason - less sure footed, more body roll on the chassis etc. I have no indication on the binicle so maybe its somethings else.

I have told LR that I would welcome a test drive by one of their "experts" in an attempt to find out why my baby is sooooo poorly It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #133931 Fri Aug 24 2007 6:55am
Sun

England 
New to the forum...

I am new to the forum, and have recently placed my order for RRS TDV8 HSE which I have been promised will arrive by end of September !

Reading through the "KNOCKING" issue raised in this forum I am very concerned !

Does anyone have the latest update on this issue ?

Is there any way that I can get some assurance from the dealer that if this problem arises they will provide me with a replacement vehicle until they resolve the problem ?

Peter mentioned that we should contact LR or TopGear maybe we could have some kind of electronic vote/email petition which could be sent to the relevant people at LR ?

Forum admin is there a way to do this ? Does anyone know who would be the correct person/s to contact in LR so that this issue is taken seriously and resolved ?

Man this thing sounds crazy.. there are a lot of people who have spent atleast 50k each on these vehicles and LR needs to do something about it.

Post #135327 Thu Aug 30 2007 1:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 32 123 ... 303132>