RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Oil Consumption
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Biggles

England 
Oil Consumption

Have any RRS owners checked oil usage yet, mainly in the TDV6 but also the V8s.
Also do you know what grade and specification these engines require. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #432 Tue Jun 21 2005 10:42am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Checked it twice, no visible usage........................
TDv6 uses 5W/30 ACEA B1 or B3
V8i & V8 Supercharged use 5W/30 ACEA A1 or A3 or API SJ or SL

Land Rover generally uses Castrol Magnatec for both Diesel and Petrol Engines.

Hope this helps Biggles - thinking of laying down a stock are you? If you haven't used a Land Rover Dealer for servicing before, they are unblieveably expensive for lub oil................... they don't buy in bulk but sell it in LR Branded packs which cost the earth. With my TD5 Disco and Freelander I supplied them with Magnatec from Halfords and refused to pay for dealer supplied oil. That was my only ever dispute with my local dealer. With the TD6RR I had a 5 year all inclusive service agreement - all that car cost me was tax and insurance - even though it had a service indicator I took it in after 12 months/ 24months for a full service - it wasn't costing me a penny and I didn't worry about the price of their lubes either! TDv6 doesn't have VIP scheme (more's the pity) so I'll be back to buying Magnatec from Halfords!
Also my experience of modern Land Rover Diesels is that I have NEVER had to put any oil in between services, they have all been diesels and they have had negligable oil consumption. Even my Defender which has the TDi300 engine just doesn't use oil or leak it onto the drive (it used to be the saying that all Land Rovers leaked oil from the complex transmission, that was normal..................... BUT if it didn't leak oil then you had a problem. My 2 Discos leaked oil from the rear diff seals but never from the engine and more recent LR's have never dropped a drip.
I do get a wet patch under the car when it is parked but that is the condesate from the Climate Control condensor draining away. BTW the aircon in the Sport is as good as it was in the RR but there are no visible sensors and you cannot adjust the overall ambient inside temperature like you could on the RR.

Post #438 Tue Jun 21 2005 2:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

No its not that I am getting a stock in (well I am sort off).
I have never liked the extended 12000 miles or there abouts service and will be changing the oil myself, well we employ 8 fitters and they will be doing it.
Will change the oil at around 1000 miles and again at 5000 miles and alternate between the service schedule after that.
This is something I have done with most of my cars in the past few years. I will use the same oil as the main dealer so that there is no conflict as to brand / specification etc. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #440 Tue Jun 21 2005 3:13pm
Simon

United Kingdom 

V8 has used no oil in 2000 miles.

TDV6 in our D3 used about half litre per 1000 miles for first 6-7000 miles but has not used any since, any ideas why?

Post #592 Mon Jun 27 2005 11:20am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Could it the running/ bedding in process?
I have been told that diesel engines take much longer to "bed in" than petrol engines. I must admit my last 5 Land Rovers have all been diesels and I found that the ECU seems to adjust itself as the miles go on - it manifested itself on my TD5 Disco and TD4 Freelander by marked improvements in the fuel consumtpion as the car passed 1000, 3000 and 5000 miles. I didn't think ECU's were that clever! With the TD6 it was not apparrent, it had (relatively!) good consumption from day 1 (23-25mpg in day to day use and up to 31mpg on long motorway hauls).
None of them used any noticable amounts of oil. The TDv6 dipstick is a godawful thing to read. It's a piece of shiney wire with plastic beads on it, what on earth was wrong with the old flexible strip of steel with 2 notches cut out of it for min and max........... Rolling Eyes I must be becoming an old fart resenting all these "changes"Laughing

Post #594 Mon Jun 27 2005 11:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
Correct oil for TDV6?

Our RRS TDV6 SE has done 3,500 miles and I had to put in 1/2 litre of oil this week. I put in Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30. However, in Halfords, they indicated this oil was for petrol engines (only in the petrol display section). For diesel engines, the Castrol Magnatec oil was the 5W-40 or 10W-40, which both was in a different colour container. Was I right to use GTX Magnatec or is there another 5W-30 oil?
Does anyone know if LandRover use the Magnatec oil from the factory? Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #1176 Mon Jul 25 2005 11:49am
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
oil consumption

you should have got a free 1ltr pack with your rrs from castrol, in a nice zipped bag.
castrol magnatec semi synthetic think 5/30 or 40.
says grade on oil filler cap

Post #1198 Mon Jul 25 2005 8:08pm
Biggles

England 
Re: oil consumption

scorpio wrote:
you should have got a free 1ltr pack with your rrs from castrol, in a nice zipped bag.
castrol magnatec semi synthetic think 5/30 or 40.
says grade on oil filler cap

Free oil now that would be nice. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1200 Mon Jul 25 2005 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1