RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Automatic Door Locks - Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tlw

United States 
Automatic Door Locks - Help

I've noticed that when I park my car, get out, put my key in my pocket, get something from the back seat and then reach in to push the lock button on the center consol, all the doors lock but for the driver's side front door. Interestingly, the manuel lock on the inside of the driver's door moves to the locked position, but when I close the door I can open it, unlike all the other doors, which are locked. Shouldn't ALL the doors lock whe the lock button is pushed on the center consol? The way it is now, there is no ppoint in using that button since it doesn't lock all the doors. Is it just me missing something? TIA - tlw '06 RRS HSE Chawton White/Alpaca Lux/PTI/Sirius
'04 Ford F250 Super Duty
'01 Jeep Wrangler
'05 John Deere 5320

Post #11776 Tue Jan 31 2006 4:06am
abrooker

Hong Kong 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Re: Automatic Door Locks - Help

tlw wrote:
I've noticed that when I park my car, get out, put my key in my pocket, get something from the back seat and then reach in to push the lock button on the center consol, all the doors lock but for the driver's side front door. Interestingly, the manuel lock on the inside of the driver's door moves to the locked position, but when I close the door I can open it, unlike all the other doors, which are locked. Shouldn't ALL the doors lock whe the lock button is pushed on the center consol? The way it is now, there is no ppoint in using that button since it doesn't lock all the doors. Is it just me missing something? TIA - tlw

a tad confusing why you would'nt lock it from the remote... if you use the centre console button, the car will not deadlock. it only deadlock's from the remote so my advice, close the doors, look from the key. 2005 RRS SC 1st Edition Vesuvius Orange

Post #11783 Tue Jan 31 2006 10:00am
antics22

United States 

I am sure that its intentional so you don't accidentally lock yourself out. Imagine leaving the key on your seat whilre reaching for your things, then pressing the button and forgetting the key is still on the seat.... and then, voila! all doors locked with key inside Shocked

My BMW did the same thing... I could press the lock button, but if the front door was open while I did this, the drivers side door would fail to lock.

One option would be for you to press the lock button on your key when you park the car while your door is open... Your horn will sound to let you know that you have an open door... and as you close your last door, all the doors WILL lock and your lights will blink three times confirming it for you...

Post #11786 Tue Jan 31 2006 10:02am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yes, definitely intentional. For this very reason it's virtually impossible to lock yourself out of your car these days. First person I've ever heard of not using the remote to lock the car once they've closed all the doors, though Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #11797 Tue Jan 31 2006 11:04am
tlw

United States 

Thanks for the replies. Just so everybody doesn't think I completely daft, I do use the key to lock the car. Twice, however, I needed to get some things out of the back seat and put the key in my pocket first. I then remembered to get my cell phone from the front seat and it seemed easier to simply push the button in the front. I then thought all the doors were locked. Now I know better! '06 RRS HSE Chawton White/Alpaca Lux/PTI/Sirius
'04 Ford F250 Super Duty
'01 Jeep Wrangler
'05 John Deere 5320

Post #11846 Tue Jan 31 2006 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1