RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Flies Superglued to Supaguard!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345

Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Good suggestion...my only concern with more aggressive methods is that I spend hours and hours building up layers of Zaino polish - so I'm loath to strip it off with anything too harsh.

Living in BC I guess you'd have to be careful about where you park to avoid sap. That must be pretty rough on paint if it's allowed to sit - especially if you get that really fine, mist like sap that then bakes into the paint. Personally - I'd try a clay bar first before going to something like WD-40. 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #78494 Sun Jan 28 2007 7:26pm
shaun_

2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

to be honest, i haven't tried the WD in victoria yet because i've only been out here since may. my REAL home (where i spend 5% of my time) is in Winnipeg so we have those stupid asphalt-filler machines that plug up potholes. of course, being that winnipeg is more backwards than anywhere else (including GB ) Laughing the temporary fix kicks up all sorts of sticky debris onto the cars..i park indoors in BC but its the bird sh*t that irritates me the most. i do a lot of industrial military construction so on the base in esquimalt, there's seagulls EVERYWHERE that just go to town on the cars...i just pressure wash every night 2007 RRS HSE Java/Ebony w/Luxury Package
2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
1998 Eagle Talon

Post #78516 Sun Jan 28 2007 8:14pm
Elite

United Kingdom 

Hi,

Your best bet is to use a fine grade clay bar with plenty of lubricant. If this does not work, then try soaking some insect remover on the surface and wash and then try re-clayiing. Be patient and do not rub too hard or you will marr the paint.

Good luck, if there's any further questions feel free to ask me.

Elite Thumbs Up

Post #82207 Sun Feb 11 2007 1:57am
skibum

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have you tried Muc Off, the Mountain Bike Cleaner? Spray it on, leave it a couple of minsthem wash it off with lots of water. Hey presto!!! TDV6 HSE 2007 model, Stornoway Grey, Ivory leather,Privacy glass, Premium ICE Pack, side steps, tasmod sills, now towbar and seat covers

Post #108482 Sun May 13 2007 7:10pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I use Muc Off too to get off thicker deposits and I know Jay has recommended on another thread somewhere, it's good at getting tar off too and also good on alloy wheels. I have also found on my Defender that BP Synthetic Cyclechain Lube is brilliant for lubricating the bonnet catch - the RRS hasn't got dusted enough in places that you don't normally see to need that treatment yet, but after a long weekend of offroading in very dusty conditions the 90's bonnet catch gets very difficult to release - a couple of squirts of this oil (it's thicker than WD40 and doesn't evaporate like WD40) and the release works really well! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #108484 Sun May 13 2007 7:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

This stuff is very highly rated over on the detailing forum

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=9932

Post #108491 Sun May 13 2007 8:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The local Kew Gun agency/ service outlet also do car washes using a hot pressure washer that works pretty well at getting everything nasty off the outside while I sit inside and listen to the music. It only costs £5 for a hot pressure wash, shampoo, rinse with wax and hand dry and I don't have to put any effort into the job either ........................ Much prefer to get the bugs off that way than to have to do it myself! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #108498 Sun May 13 2007 8:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

Hot pressure washers / steam cleaners are great but can very easily damage paintwork if there are any existing chips etc.
When I worked at the Knightsbridge car wash when I was at school we had a guy come in with a car that had cement splodges down one side.
A bodyshop had told him the only way was to respray the whole side. He was convinced that we could get it off with the steam cleaner. We said no it would damage the paint but he was insistant so we got him to sign a disclaimer and proceded to take big chunks of paint from the side of his car. He just shrugged his shoulders, got in and drove away Laughing

Post #108502 Sun May 13 2007 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345