RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Voiding my Warranty!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

William

Qatar 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
Voiding my Warranty!!

Greetings All,

I am new to this forum and quite happy that it exists. I am a new owner of a 2007 RRS HSE (Buckingham Blue Smile). I am in the process of modding my RRS to give the S/C look with a new grill & vents, exhaust tips from Remus and new 22" wheels from Kahn.

I checked with the local dealer 1st and they told me that modifying the exhaust and/or wheels (over 20") will void my 3-year warranty.

Does that make sense to you at all???

William

Post #101347 Mon Apr 09 2007 9:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome William

First of all you should be VERY happy this forum exists, not just QUITE happy. Thumbs Up

Your question crops up very often regarding owners chipping their engine - does it invalidate LR's warranty or not?

The general opinion is that it would only invalidate it IF Land Rover could attribute the failure to the modification. For example if you changed the wheels to 22" Kahns and a wheel failed and caused damage to the wheel hub, disc or other parts, you could hardly expect Land Rover to replace their own parts free of charge!

There is a risk involved but in most people's opinion and with a little common sense, that risk is minimal. After all, if you put polish on your car Land Rover could claim that a paint defect was down to the type of polish you had used.

Hope this helps. Just use your own judgement as to how great the modification poses a risk to the warranty. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #101353 Mon Apr 09 2007 9:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ivery819

G'Day William
and WELCOME Surprised Surprised
In Australia Land Rover clearly states that any modification or accessory not approved by them CAN void the warranty.
As rrsjo points out commonsense should prevail.
This where I have found it becomes important to choose a dealer that has the technical expertise, commonsense and good manners to deal ethically with their customers.
Sometimes this means standing up to the manufacturer whom in Land Rover's case has historically had a severe case of "siege mentality " at certain times .
Having said that, I have found that with a sympathetic dealer I have had all my past claims (prior to this vehicle )
honoured promptly. (some have been major...such as gearbox and transfer case replacement +$20,000 aus at the time )
Reading some of the horror stories on the forums I can't help but think that a large part of the customer dissatisfaction is owing to the behavior and competence of the dealer and that some of them "hide" behind the excuse of Land Rover policy in order to explain their own shortcomings.
ps
Nothing has yet gone wrong on my RRS.

Post #101355 Mon Apr 09 2007 10:17am
mcma1

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

my dealer fitted my overfinch 22's, chipped the ecu and are now going to fit my new exhaust, and I still have my warranty.

which kahn's are you thinking of?? 2011 Defender X-tech

Post #101639 Wed Apr 11 2007 10:47am
William

Good'day to you all as well.

Well I am thinking now of the Kahn RS-X 9"x21" (Front) and 10.5"x21" (Rear). They come fitted with 295x35x21 tyres.

I also like the look of the color-coded door handles. Do you know where I can get those to match my RRS color: Buckingham Blue? Or can I just paint over the gray ones that came with the car? Is it an easy job to
replace those door handles? Can I so it myself?

B. Regards,

William

Post #102216 Fri Apr 13 2007 2:03pm
William

Oh,

I also like the bigger FORGED 18.5KG RS-X 10"x22" fitted with 285x35x22" tyres.

What do you think?

William

Post #102218 Fri Apr 13 2007 2:29pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

If your roads are as flat a a pancake and pothole free they'll be fine! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #102223 Fri Apr 13 2007 4:58pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

What amazes me is that it is in the dealers interest to carry out warranty work as it usually covers the running costs of their premises.

Most warranty claims that 'fail' are 90% of time down to the wrong attitude or poor forwarding of information by the repairing dealer to Land Rover.

A good friend of mine was head of warranty at VW in the UK and the only time they refused a claim was when a dealer had 'found something' and ticked the wrong box on the warranty claim form. They did not have the time nor the resources to investigate the majority of claims and would approve them if the dealer 'judged' it legitimate.

Not a comforting thought if you have a bad relationship with your dealer Sad Chips with everything

Post #102226 Fri Apr 13 2007 5:18pm
ivery819

LRtuning
quote "What amazes me is that it is in the dealers interest to carry out warranty work as it usually covers the running costs of their premises"

Not if every time they fix something they bugga something else.

A lack of dealer expertise has dogged Land Rover (and Jaguar ) for many years and comes from the days when Dealers were hard to get.
No manufacturer is going to pay for the dealer's lack of ability.
In Australia I find I drive 750km to a dealer I can trust instead of 300km to one who doesn't have a clue and couldn't care less.
Amazingly there are some VERY good non factory workshops around. These are characterized by people who are highly technically skilled and and who are enthusiastic about their work and the product.

I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR HAD THEY NOT BEEN THERE.

Post #102257 Fri Apr 13 2007 11:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1