RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fitting an ARB air compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Fitting an ARB air compressor

All, the mods continue. The following image is of today's fitment of an ARB air compressor. It's in the spot that is normally used for the Fuel Burning Heater (FBH). Apparently in Australia, we don't rate the standard fitment of the heater. LR reckon its hot enough down here. It's a great space for the compressor. The compressor has seen a bit of use. I had it fitted to my TD5 Disco and it survived a couple of trips in the Simpson Desert (both the Disco and the compressor).

Fitment was fiddley but relatively easy. I utilised the mounting points for the FBH so no mods to the vehicle had to be made (except for a hole where the 12v positive lead goes into the main battery box).

I just made a platform out of alloy plate and bent/cut it to suit. A relay is hidden under the platform and the on/off switch is in the platform.

Tomorrow’s project is the fitment of a second battery in front of the brake master cylinder and voltage sensing relay to manage the charging/isolation of the second battery. I need the second battery to run the 40lt fridge in the back. It’s a must for keeping the drinks cold.

Steve

Click image to enlarge
 RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Last edited by stephenw on Thu Apr 05 2007 12:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #100775 Thu Apr 05 2007 9:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nice! Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #100779 Thu Apr 05 2007 10:04am
Rupert

Ireland 

Hey stephenw I think you need to hook up with christyler over on the Disco 3 site. What he hasn’t done to his Disco I don’t know.

From on board computer, a compressor, second battery, to a winch hidden behind the front bumper & a voltage inverter giving him a 220 volt outlet...... the list goes on Shocked

You should really look up some of his posts & browse through his gallery.

Last edited by Rupert on Thu Apr 05 2007 6:58pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #100900 Thu Apr 05 2007 6:56pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Anyone recommend a good compressor? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #100902 Thu Apr 05 2007 6:58pm
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

VA, the ultimate solution would be an 'Endless Air' compressor. For speed and simplicity these are great. Difficulty would be fitting to the RRS. I guess anything is possible, it's just the cash availability that is the issue.

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/endless_air/index.htm

I've had good reports on the following compressors. Speed and duty cycle is much better than the ARB compressor that I have fitted. But since I already owned the ARB.......

http://www.bushranger.com.au/maxair_2_compressor.php

http://www.bushranger.com.au/super_max_compressor.php

While an Aussie specific, these guys have an area on their web site where you can ask for international distributors.

I hope this helps.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #101007 Thu Apr 05 2007 11:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Looks a great solution Stephen, although I have a small portable compressor that fits exactly in one of the cut-outs in the polystyrene tray in the boot, brought it at Halfords in the UK. It plugs into the front or rear power points or the ciggy lighter and has a power cable that stows inside the unit that is about 3m long so it will reach anywhere round the car from the from just the cigarette lighter in the front, however it isn't the fastest electric compressor in the world but it certainly beats a footpump hands down! It also has a built-in pressuregauge but doesn't have an automatic cut-off (you cannot have everyhting for £19.99!) I'll post a photo of it after the Easter hols. One problem for Euroepan TDv6/8's would be the location as we have the Fuel burning heater where you have mounted yours (as you say in your post) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #101016 Fri Apr 06 2007 6:01am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

There's always the second battery box! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #101017 Fri Apr 06 2007 6:13am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Having 2 cars and only one driver in the household it's useful (money saving??)to have one portable pump that can be moved between them VA! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #101018 Fri Apr 06 2007 6:23am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

True - but there is space in the RRS if you want to fit one. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #101019 Fri Apr 06 2007 6:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1