Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Chipping Tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234

Kaine

United Kingdom 

LRtuning wrote:
Kaine,

In a perfect world you are right but I'm afraid it will never happen in the 're-map' world especially for Land Rover

very true - a shame though

Post #99879 Mon Apr 02 2007 7:56pm
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

LRtuning wrote:
Kaine,

In a perfect world you are right but I'm afraid it will never happen in the 're-map' world especially for Land Rover

Hmmm - LR establish what they are happy with component strength-wise by design then testing. Re-map outfits have every opportunity to study the design and establish their own limits, where most fall down will be the amount of product testing they do, the opportunity simply wonīt be there to get anything like as many testing miles in as LR.

BUT what would worry me is an outfit who donīt establish their basic engineering credentials OR do testing, that seems a fast route to something tragic - and will rely on LR designing-in a drivetrain weak point (normally a half-shaft, you would NOT want either an exploding gearbox or worse a failed propshaft at speed).

I would expect any additional wear due to a remap to show up primarily in the auto box clutch lifespan being shortened, any sudden torque overload would probably result in a broken half-shaft for the reasons above. Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #99926 Mon Apr 02 2007 10:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

simonsi wrote:
..........and will rely on LR designing-in a drivetrain weak point (normally a half-shaft, you would NOT want either an exploding gearbox or worse a failed propshaft at speed).

Which was just what happened to early L322/FFRR's.............................. many exploding gear boxes and front diffs at speed were reported in the first 1-2 years of production, I would doubt it was "designed-in" though!. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #99944 Mon Apr 02 2007 10:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think your all right in what you say
We all know the broken half shaft stories in Land Rover series 1,2 and 3, and even some D2
Then the old diff problem and trasfer box on the RR classic, then we come into more diff problems and transfer boxes on the P38
Then the diff alignment problem you just mentioned on the later RR, which RR did their best to modify out in the field.
Lets just wait and see. The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say
When we have 100K on the clock we can look back then. Whistle You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #100011 Tue Apr 03 2007 8:44am
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Nicely summed up Nige Smile Chips with everything

Post #100014 Tue Apr 03 2007 8:54am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

As you say LRT its down to personal choice.
I think we also have to remember that manufacture process has come on leaps and bounds in recent years and things like tensile stress are much improved sectors.
I do beleive half shaft failure etc is a thing of the past and we can look forward to less or none of that.
The only comment is I sealed my own fate on this topic when it started on last week.. I should have kept quiet
My RRs is back at the dealers from yesterday. The front diff unit is on back order because they are becoming a problem. Yawn You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #100025 Tue Apr 03 2007 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234